[IMC-Tech] Operating system

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 11:21:38 CST 2006

"I've always thought it was hypocritical for UCIMC to be running
proprietary Microsoft software."
As for windows at the IMC... i love UNIX like environments and would
love to use it all the time.  Unfortunately, the software developers
who create the applications with the best feature sets for creating
good media use OS X or Windows.  Find equivalent applications to Adobe
Premier, Sony Sound Forge, Sony Acid, Final Cut, Adobe Photoshop, etc…
this list can get very large.  I know of several comparable UNIX based
applications… but they are not on the same tier yet.  There is also
the Wine project to allow windows applications to run within an UNIX
environment but it is not just yet at 1.0 and there are feature and
performance losses in most all of the applications it works with.  So,
until the software developers start developing for UNIX environments
or the IMC decides it wants to train members how to use shoddy
audio/video software that is on a UNIX like OS, we will continue to
use OS X and Windows for our production systems.

As for the public access terminals, servers, and other systems… fuck
ya UNIX all the way.  I don't know how I feel about putting games and
other things outside of a web browser and text editor on public access
terminals.  Also, in the library area I was wanting combine some
available hardware we have laying around to create a multi head public
access terminal.  On one small table, with one computer, multiple
monitors, mice, and keyboards we can have 3+ independent access
terminals.  These would not be able to sustain heavy use, but would be
more than enough for each user to do casual web browsing and edit text
documents.  http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html has a howto on what
I am talking about.

my 2 cents...

On 3/10/06, Gary Cziko <g-cziko at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> All:
>
> Do I notice a groundswell for open source and Ubuntu?
>
> If we want this computer to be used by families and young people, I would
> recommend Edubuntu.  It is the same as Ubuntu plus a large  number of
> educational programs and games that I've been having fund with (Stéphane,
> have you used any of these with your son, Paul?).
>
> --Gary
>

> On 3/10/06, Stephane Alnet <stephane at shimaore.net> wrote:
> > Bob,
> >
> > > I suspect Windows on the library computer, just because people
> > > will be used to the text-editing facilities on Windows.
> >
> > I suspect Ubuntu contains OpenOffice.org, an open-source office suite
> > (text/ spreadsheet/ etc.) that closely matches MS Office.
> > S. (putting his Open-Source Advocate hat on for one second)

> Gary Cziko
> Professor
> Educational Psychology & English as an International Language
> University of Illinois
> 1310 S. Sixth Street
> 210F Education Building
> Champaign, IL 61820-6990
> USA
>
> Telephone +1-217-333-8527
> Fax: +1-217-244-7620
> e-mail: g-cziko at uiuc.edu
> Web: http://garycziko.net
> Gizmo Project: GaryJazz (http://www.gizmoproject.com)
> Skype: garyjazz (http://www.skype.com)
> Google Talk: gcziko
> Jabber: GaryJazz at chat.gizmoproject.com
> Amateur Radio: N9MJZ (IRLP 4280; EchoLink 8231);
>
> Founder, Station Manager, Program Director, Chief Engineer and Announcer
> The Latino Radio Service of La Casa Cultural Latina
> 1660 AM on the Urbana-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois
> (http://latinoradioservice.org)

Daniel