[IMC-Tech] Operating system

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 10 13:52:00 CST 2006

Dan:

Also, in the library area I was wanting combine some
> available hardware we have laying around to create a multi head public
> access terminal.  On one small table, with one computer, multiple
> monitors, mice, and keyboards we can have 3+ independent access
> terminals.  These would not be able to sustain heavy use, but would be
> more than enough for each user to do casual web browsing and edit text
> documents.  http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html has a howto on what
> I am talking about.

This sounds like a great idea, assuming space concerns are met.  But did you
see this in the article you linked to?:

"While the system worked very well, it was extremely unstable. In
particular, we got a kernel oops fairly often when we logged out. . . .The
problem persists. Please let bsmith at linuxtoys dot org know if you have
any ideas that might help fix this problem."

Sounds like it could be quite frustrating for both users and administrators.

--Gary