[IMC-Tech] Re: [RFU] Phone usage

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 29 21:05:47 CST 2006

Stéphane:

Has any thought been given to swithing to a VoIP phone serivce such as
Vonage or MCI VoiP? For residential use it's $25-30/month with unlimited
calls to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.

I don't know how much it would be for nonresidential and how many lines
would be needed, but 7cents a minute for a local call seems like robbery to
me.

--Gary

On 3/29/06, Stephane Alnet <stephane at shimaore.net> wrote:

> This is a quick reminder that the phones at the IMC are to be used
> for IMC business only. Every call placed on either the IMC or the RFU
> line costs the IMC at least 7 cents a minute. Please do not use
> services such as 411 or other paying services; for example, a single
> call to 411 costs the IMC two dollars, when you could just use the
> paper directory in the office, or any computer connected to the
> Internet, to lookup a number. This is all money we could use towards
> other activities that disappears in AT&T deep pockets, and it adds up
> month after month.
>
> This is especially important for WRFU show hosts: the phone in the
> WRFU studio is intended to be primarily used to receive calls, not to
> place calls. If your phone hosts cannot dial into the WRFU studio,
> please use a calling card to place calls. An hour worth of call costs
> the IMC over $4, you can easily imagine what happens if only one show
> would do this 52 weeks a year. This is all money that we have to gain
> through blood-and-sweat fundraising.
>
> Thanks for listening!
> Stéphane (with his treasurer silly-hat on)

Gary Cziko
Professor
Educational Psychology & English as an International Language
University of Illinois
1310 S. Sixth Street
210F Education Building
Champaign, IL 61820-6990
USA

Telephone +1-217-333-8527
Fax: +1-217-244-7620
e-mail: g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Web: http://garycziko.net
Gizmo Project: GaryJazz (http://www.gizmoproject.com)
Skype: garyjazz (http://www.skype.com)
Google Talk: gcziko
Jabber: GaryJazz at chat.gizmoproject.com
Amateur Radio: N9MJZ (IRLP 4280; EchoLink 8231);

Founder, Station Manager, Program Director, Chief Engineer and Announcer
The Latino Radio Service of La Casa Cultural Latina
1660 AM on the Urbana-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois
( http://latinoradioservice.org)