[IMC-Tech] Re: [RFU] Phone usage

Stephane Alnet stephane at shimaore.net
Wed Mar 29 21:27:25 CST 2006

Gary,

> Has any thought been given to swithing to a VoIP phone serivce such
> as Vonage or MCI VoiP? For residential use it's $25-30/month with
> unlimited calls to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.

I'd suppose one of the issues with this kind of service is that it
may be difficult to obtain a local phone number for people to call-in.
I'm not sure there ever was a serious discussion about subscribing to
this kind of service for WRFU. I would vote against it for the IMC
because of the need to have a phone for emergency (911) access, which
VoIP companies have a hard time to reliably provide.

> I don't know how much it would be for nonresidential and how many
> lines would be needed, but 7cents a minute for a local call seems
> like robbery to me.

It's nothing new: the RBOCs had quasi-monopoly over most of the
nation's local access until very recently, and the only area of
competition was long-distance. Local and local-toll calls have always
been a cow that the telecom companies know how to milk. The '96
Telecommunication act was supposed to address this, but as we can see
with the recent merger of SBC and AT&T, things are going to be worse
before they get better.

By the way, the Vonage and other VoIP packages aren't also as good as
they seem (these guys aren't losing money, mind you!). You can get
inbound+outbound service for about $7 a month at retail prices, with
at most 2 cents a minute to the US, Canada, most of Europe, etc., so
$25/month is only a good deal if you use over 900 minutes of talk
time (15 hours) every month. If you buy "bulk" access (which a
cooperative could do), things get even more interesting. Also, for
most people (over 50% of the population in the US do not have
broadband), this is simply not a feasible solution because of the
high entry costs of broadband ("the digital divide starts at home").

S. (who do voice stuff for a living :] )