[IMC-Tech] Re: [CU-Wireless-Staff] mailman links are all broken:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Sun Nov 5 11:22:38 CST 2006

I suspect that someone must have chmod-ed the wrong file somewhere and that is
the root cause of the problem.  Is there a log file somewhere of the changes
being made on our central servers?  If not, is there a way to maintain one?  I
feel like we've seen a number of small mistakes that would have been caught if
we had more eyes on things as they're being done.  Call me crazy, but maybe a
rooters e-mail list or something?  Just a thought -- meanwhile, I'm thinking
that checking the permissions on the relevant directories might identify the
problem.

--Sascha

Mike Lehman wrote:
> Joshua,
> This does work to gain access to view the admin pages. But you can't do
> anything with them, since when you hit the "Submit all data" button, it
> defaults back to lists.chambana.net and gives the Forbidden 403 error.
> Perhaps Sascha or someone else can figure out how to make it work, but
> it doesn't work for me.
> Mike Lehman
>
> Joshua King wrote:
>>
>> I probably should also have noted that since most of the links are
>> static, this is an extremely broken way to access the admin interface,
>> but it should hopefully work as long as you don't mind constantly
>> switching the URL to mail.chambana.net instead of lists.chambana.net. If
>> it wasn't for the fact that you said it was time-sensitive, I wouldn't
>> have done it, and I'll switch it back as soon as the DNS is fixed by
>> someone with access (if I am right about the problem).
>>
>> Joshua King wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's a DNS problem on our secondary DNS, which I gather is an
>>> OJC machine (colo.ojctech.com). However, because it's OJC, I don't have
>>> any access to fix its settings. The records for lists.chambana.net
>>> (except for the MX record) point at zeco instead of imsahp. I
>>> temporarily changed the apache record for mail.chambana.net to point at
>>> the mailman interface for the lists, so you should be able to access it
>>> through there. Let me know if you have any problems with it working
>>> correctly.

>>> --
>>> Josh King
>>> --
>>> email: joshuaheretic at gmail.com, jking2 at uiuc.edu, jking at cuwireless.net,
>>> josh.is.short at gmail.com
>>> aim: joshuaheretic
>>> --
>>> Network Engineer, CUWiN Foundation (http://www.cuwin.net)
>>> System Admin, Chambana.net (http://www.chambana.net)
>>> --
>>> "I am an Anarchist not because I believe Anarchism is the final goal,
>>> but because there is no such thing as a final goal." -Rudolf Rocker
>>>

>> - --
>> Josh King
>> - --
>> email: joshuaheretic at gmail.com, jking2 at uiuc.edu, jking at cuwireless.net,
>> josh.is.short at gmail.com
>> aim: joshuaheretic
>> - --
>> Network Engineer, CUWiN Foundation (http://www.cuwin.net)
>> System Admin, Chambana.net (http://www.chambana.net)
>> - --
>> "I am an Anarchist not because I believe Anarchism is the final goal,
>> but because there is no such thing as a final goal." -Rudolf Rocker

Sascha Meinrath
Executive Director  *  Principal          *  President
CUWiN              *** The Ethos Group   *** Acorn Active Media
CUWiN.net           *  EthosWireless.com  *  AcornActiveMedia.com