[IMC-Tech] RFU Meeting Notes, Nov. 7 and WRFU First Anniversary Party, Friday, Nov. 10, 7pm!!!

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 8 18:46:17 CST 2006

*Note for IMC Tech group: See note lower down in these notes.*

These are very quick notes, due to time priorities, but at least people
will know what's going on. We apparently forgot to appoint a note taker
for last night's meeting.

Fred facilitated the meeting. Ray filed the attendance sheet so I don;t
have names with me, but they are recorded. There were about 15 of us
present by the time the meeting was over.

Please note there will be no meeting on the third Thursday in November,
due to its conflict with Fall/Thanksgiving Break Week, so don't show up
Nov. 21 for a RFU geenral meeting. The next general RFU meeting will be
Dec. 5 at 8pm.

RFU working groups who want to meet are free to schedule as needed, of
course.

***First Anniversary Party***
THIS FRIDAY! Nov. 10, starting at 7pm to ???
First Floor Stage in the IMC
202 S. Broadway
Urbana, IL

Discussed, although Claire wasn't there. Contact her via the RFU list
for more info.

Several people will be there early to set up on Friday. People are
leafleting for it and extra leaflets can probably be found around the
studio or on the IMC lit tables.
Please be sure to announce the party on your shows!!!
More info should be posted to this list.
If someone wants to post an announcement or story about the party to
www.ucimc.org I will make it a Feature

Letter re Brad Will's Murder
We consensed to add WRFU to the list of signers of a letter asking that
the death of Brad Will, a NYC IMC reporter covering events in Oaxaca.

Text of the letter is here:
http://www.friendsofbradwill.org/pressfreedom
I have added WRFU to the list of signers.
For more info on this, see:
http://www.ucimc.org/node/251

Two new groups announced plans for programming proposals at the meeting.
Ann now has the password to the RFU website scheduling/program proposal
drop box, so that's working again for anyone who wants to apply for a show.

Ken Urban now has access to edit the RFU website. Inquiries about
helping with that or changes needed should be directed to him.

After discussion of the station's financial situation and needs, the
following was agreed to:

The donation for WRFU membership will now be $20/year. This should
result in income of about $3,000/year to cover basic station operating
expenses. As part of this increase, the definition of basic station
expenses will now include copyright licensing for internet broadcasting
(~$864/year). The $20/year rate will be in effect for the next 2 years
before being re-evaluated.

Ray will be working on setting up our licensing, as soon as he gets a
chance in the next month or so.

****NOTE for IMC Tech!****
Any additional technical changes needed for setting up regular internet
streaming of the WRFU broadcast signal will need to be coordinated with
y'all.

Still needed is a budget for next year, now that we have a good idea of
what our finances are. Various means of fundrasing were also discussed,
but action deferred to Fundraising. There will be at least one important
announcement of matching funds for the new tower at the party on Friday
to help get things rolling for this very important project.

Finally, an initial compilation of the mandatory membership survey was
made. It was noted several program were missing from the list. At the
Dec. 5 meeting, we will be setting a date as immediately after that
meeting as can be done to change the studio lock combination. The new
combination will _only_ be issued by Membership to those programming
groups who have completed the mandatory survey.

Any shows who fail to complete a survey will LOSE THEIR PROGRAMMING SLOT
as of the date of the lock combination change in December and will then
have to reapply WITHOUT ANY SPECIAL PRIORITY to regain a programming
slot. In the meantime, any other compliant progamming group will get
first shot at applying for any slots vacated this way, under established
station policy, before these slots will be offered to the new -- and
deposed -- progrmaming groups.

YOU WILL LOSE YOUR AIRTIME IF YOU DON"T FILL OUT THE SURVEY!!!

A copy of the survey is attached for any programming group that still
needs to fill out a survey. Please do so ASAP!

Mike Lehman