[IMC-Tech] Re: [UCIMC-Finance] Server Room Improvements...

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:24:10 CST 2006

On 11/13/06, Danielle Chynoweth <chyn at ojctech.com> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> (wearing my IMC hat)
>
> In return for free server space, I think OJC should agree in writing to pay
> for:
>
> - Re-keying the locks on all 3 inspector doors to that gallery.
>
> - A fan for increased ventilation, if we find it is needed with more servers
> in the space.
> - Any electrical upgrades needed.

I will pass then on to OJC (wearing my OJC hat).

> It should be made clear that OJC may not use this space for storage without
> additional approval from the IMC.
>
> Who has access to the space should also be clear since OJC has raised lots
> of concerns about security and I prefer to have clarity of policy rather
> than being the one everyone bitches to.
>
> In terms of the length of this agreement, please tell the list how much it
> would cost OJC to rent server space of the size they are requesting?

the only thing to compare rack space to are data centers that provide
redundant power/cooling/connectivity and other services at the cost or
$300+ a month.  as ojc will be utilizing existing utilities they are
already getting billed for and nothing special in ventilation,
redundancy, and with the total space taken up will be less than 4
square feet, i think the cost of this would be whatever imc's going
rate is per square foot.

is the next meeting this thursday at 7?

> thanks,
> Danielle
>

> On Nov 10, 2006, at 7:30 PM, dan blah wrote:
>
> Hey all,
> I wanted to get everyone in the loop about potential upcoming upgrades
> to the server space provided by OJC (the main upstairs tenant).  OJC
> is requesting use of the existing imc-tech server space in the spy
> gallery.
>
> The upgrade will include running new cable from the old OJC server
> space to the server space inside of the spy gallery, installation of a
> patch panel in the spy gallery, a ventilated rack, and installation of
> a ventilation fan in the spy gallery.  OJC has offered to let imc-tech
> and its projects (chambana.net, CUWiN, etc.) utilize available rack
> and patch panel space provided it is not needed by OJC (there will be
> available space).  This will help cleanly wire the upstairs offices
> and existing servers as well as provide adequate security and
> ventilation for the servers.  Again, OJC will be paying all costs.
>
> Please add this to the next finance meeting agenda.  Also, I would
> like to confer with Mike Lehman (in person?) about the current power
> situation before next Thursday's meeting.  We need to decide on what
> electrical work (if any) will need to be done.
>
> Please raise any concerns or questions between now and next Thursday's
> finance meeting.  If all goes well work will begin the Friday
> following approval from Thursday's meeting.
>
> --
> Daniel

Daniel