[IMC-Tech] Re: [IMC-Space] Upgrading ventalation and power in server space...

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 27 14:03:36 CDT 2006

Dan,
The current circuit that was added last year was, I think, brought in
from an existing circuit in the south hall/lounge that abuts the
inspector's gallery space.

The easiest place to bring in power is most likely from the board
located in the current OJC server closet, but the electricians will have
to determine this and the city will have to sign off on it.

Do you want the auxiliary breaker panel simply to make it convenient to
shut off power when working on equipment at the new location? It may be
cheaper and pass the city's approval more easily to simply add/reuse
circuits at the existing panel in the old server closet. It is very
close to get to from the gallery, so if the expense for an additional
panel is considerably larger than without, you may want to take this
into consideration. However, if budget isn't an issue, it's no big deal
if OJC is paying for it.

If you're just hanging wall-mounted fans that plug into one of the
existing outlets for better circulation, then go ahead, making sure they
are as much out of the way as possible so that they don't bang people's
heads in that tight space. If it's something that needs to be wired in,
then it should be part of the estimate for the other electrical work in
there.

Danielle can tell you who she'd prefer you get bids from.

NOTE: There are at least four other electrical projects that also need
done at the present. It might be best to get a separate estimate on this
other work, but with the provision that both be done at the same time,
in order to get the lowest package price. They are:

1.) The lighted EXIT sign still needs to be installed inside the glass
door at the end of OJC's west hall. This was bid previously by Alladin
at $200, but they never returned to finish it. If wiring is going on in
the server gallery, this sign can probably be installed a bit cheaper,
since the wiring for that can likely be co-located with the gallery
project wiring. The EXIT sign itself should be sitting around the OJC
space somewhere, as I bought one for it last year, just need it installed.

2.) The 3-way switch for the internal staircase to the basement has now
failed. The lights are currently stuck "on" so we're wasting energy with
this circuit. I tried to find the breaker for this circuit _without_
success last summer. A contractor will be required to locate this
circuit with a "sniffer", clearly mark the breaker for it so we can find
it in the future, and R&R the switch.

3.) The fire alarm circuit that has been giving us trouble indications
failed and went into trouble again over the weekend. We previously
agreed that the next time this happened, we would get it repaired, as
well as have the fire alarm inspected (and serviced if the backup
batteries need replacement.) Alladin does alarm system work, in addition
to regular wiring. Chris thinks the problem may stem from exposure of
the sensor in the lobby area to dust during the remodeling, but
otherwise we don't have a clue, other than the problem is isolated to
that circuit.

4.) We now have the electromagnetic door holders for the double front
doors into the IMC  from the lobby. These will also need to be installed
by an electrician and tied into the fire alarm circuit to operate properly.

Please consult with Danielle on which of these she wants bid. I or Chris
can help you with other questions.
Mike Lehman