[IMC-Tech] imsahp swapping?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 5 10:43:41 CDT 2006

Hello all,

Sorry if this is old hat, but... I see that imsahp
is (a) very slow this morning (web server so backlogged
that it's mostly been unresponsive, many connections in SYN_RECV
state, load average 30 a bit ago) and (b) short enough of
memory that it's swapping -- "vmstat 1" shows lots of
si/so (swapin/swapout) busy-ness, and many many processes
are stuck in D state, so waiting for disk-like I/O.
Some are probably really doing I/O on files (mysqld maybe),
but I bet many were really fighting for pages of memory.

Also, even the swap space is getting fairly full:
/proc/swaps shows about 200MB left of ~700MB allocated.
I wonder if some of the past flakiness could be coming from
processes being killed due to lack of swap space?

/proc/meminfo shows the machine has an odd amount of RAM,
640MB, is that right?  It looks as though the motherboard
might be an Asus A7M, which could take 768MB.  If it can
take a little more RAM than it has now, I'd be pleased to
buy and donate some.