[IMC-Tech] Re: week four of unanswered request: web server logs missing

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 1 18:13:47 CDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 05:52:27PM -0500, Josh King wrote:

> Sorry for the delay Barry, we've been plagued with technical problems
> and work issues this month. I believe the web server just needed to be
> restarted. This seems to have been fixed as of a few days ago. Logs are
> in the same place.

  Checking on zeco right now, this still looks broken.
The access and error files appear unchanged since April 24, 2007

barryi at zeco$ date
Fri Jun  1 18:01:12 CDT 2007
barryi at zeco$ tail -1 thebikeproject.org_access.log
195.189.142.169 - - [24/Apr/2007:19:31:32 -0500] "GET /favicon.ico
HTTP/1.1" 200 3638 "http://thebikeproject.org/" "Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP;
Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1662; en; U; ssr)"

barryi at zeco$ date
Fri Jun  1 18:03:21 CDT 2007
barryi at zeco$ ls -la /var/www/log/*bike*
-rw-rwxr--  1 root  www  2313 Apr 24 19:32
/var/www/log/thebikeproject.org_access.log
-rw-rwxr--  1 root  www     0 Apr 24 19:22
/var/www/log/thebikeproject.org_error.log

   But: Ten minutes ago, the _first_ time I checked after seeing your
mail (about 6:00 pm Fri Jun  1, a few minutes before 6:03 pm), the file
_was_ updated.  Then, when I tried to access the file , a _second_ time,
perhaps a minute later, it reverted to April 24 state!

 Details:
   From what I remember from a few seconds of
skimming the access log at 6:00, there were new entries from May 29 to today,
but there was was a gap between Apr 24 and May 29 in the file.
.  This was the time I had seen a change in these files after
periodically checking them (then complaining via mail and/or phone) over
the past weeks.  But -- disturbingly! -- even that partial file seems to
have now reverted to its Apr 24 state.

                Cheers,

                Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz   Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364