[UCIMC-Tech] cu-smokefree.org renewal

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 26 15:22:30 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:51:42AM -0500, Daniel Lewart wrote:
>    UCIMC,
>
>    On Fri Jun 22, 2007, I pleaded:
>
>    > Two weeks ago, C-U Smokefree Alliance sent UCIMC a check:
>    >	#545
>    >	Jun 7, 2007
>    >	$12.00
>    >	Memo: UCIMC domain renewal
>    > However, cu-smokefree.org was not renewed, and apparently expired Jun 10.
>    > Could someone fix this ASAP?
>
>    Still nothing has happened.  If UCIMC is incapable of managing
>    domain renewals, y'all should quit claiming to do so.
>

>    Not happy,
>    Dan
>    lewart at ucimc.org

Hmm, cu-smokefree.org is held by joker.com (says "whois"),
and $12/year is the same as the joker.com price to renew.
So it sounds as though the IMC is just passing the money through,
not charging anything (by this mechanism at least) for carrying
domains.  Right?

Anyone with a credit card or paypal account can renew any joker.com
domain -- I recently did that with AWARE's anti-war.net which would
otherwise have expired this week.  The domain doesn't need to be
registered to you, and paying for renewal doesn't transfer ownership to you.

I *hope* that it'll go live again as soon as it's paid (unlike some
other registrars, who require action from the registered domain owner
to renew a domain once it's expired).

Just look on joker.com, hit the Renew button, and follow instructions.
You need to register an account with them to do it -- basically give them
your name and an e-mail address to which they send the acknowledgement.

So you'll still want the check back, but at least you'll be on the air, probably.

   Stuart