[IMC-Tech] revocation of permissions

Ross Musselman rgmussel at cuwireless.net
Thu May 3 21:37:16 CDT 2007

Dear UCIMC Tech Group Members,

On Monday, 30 April, at 13:23, my administrative privileges were removed
from the UCIMC webserver, zeco. I was originally granted those
permissions by Daniel Meredith so that I could manage the CUWiN website.
The removal of those privileges deny me the ability to manage that site.

I can only assume that my privileges have been revoked for violating a
UCIMC Tech Group policy. On Monday afternoon, I was informed that I had
violated a Tech Group policy when I moved a new CUWiN server into the
server space without informing the Tech Group. As I have mentioned in a
previous email to the list, CUWiN would like to move our current
development server behind our new server and use the same public IP
address for our new server that the development server previously
utilized. I was informed of my error on Monday afternoon at about 13:20,
during a meeting of the CUWiN Board of Directors. I was told that I
needed to submit that request to the Tech Group list, but I was not
informed that my privileges would be revoked or that I needed to remove
the server until permission had been granted. I sent the requested email
to the Tech Group list on Tuesday, May 1, at 07:50. I am deeply sorry
that I have violated Tech Group policy, and I would never do so knowingly.

I am not concerned that I no longer have root access to the UCIMC
webserver. However, as one of the administrators of the CUWiN website, I
ought to be allowed access to the relevant files. I would ask the
administrators of that machine to rectify this with the same haste that
was used to revoke my privileges on the machine until such time as CUWiN
officially moves its web services off of that machine. I have already
asked one of those members directly, but I still do not have access to
those files.

I am concerned by the way in which this has been handled. At the time of
the permission change, I was in a meeting with the two members of the
wheel group (i.e. the people who have the ability to make this change),
yet no mention of this change was made. Nor was any notification of this
change sent to me until 19:47 on 2 May. This incident has a distinctly
punitive feel that runs counter to the spirit of the UCIMC and the
didactic mission of the UCIMC Tech Group. I leave it in your hands to
determine an appropriate response to the current situation.

Sincerely,

Ross Musselman