[IMC-Tech] Re: Production room

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed May 23 16:33:47 CDT 2007

I agree that we need to have a welcoming space, but this sort of thing
is exactly the sort that we all need to be aware of before it happens.
Let's consider that this situation puts these kids in a bad position, as
the fact that this Simplex combination has been compromised like this
was not known to most of us.

Somebody could have easily called the cops on these kids, not knowing
better. This would be very unfair to them and an embarrassing situation
to put whoever might have reported them into. If I had seen them, I
would have questioned them about where they got the combination and
satisfied myself that this was legit, which at a minimum would have
required phone calls and/or a trip to locate someone I know who could
vouch for this situation. Bob was only doing what he should have done.

Whatever the situation for keys for them, giving out the Simplex
combinations is not a good solution. This needs to be resolved ASAP. The
Simplex combination needs to be changed and its use restricted.

I saw that Habari has their email on the Production room list (I think),
so that should take care of things as I assume we'll notify those on it.
I have no plans right now to change the combination on the Production
room, pending a meeting to reorganize and set policy for use of the
Production room. This should happen ASAP, also.

When it comes to issues that involve building security, the conversation
needs to include more people, preferably the Steering group, as such
decisions affect us all and require everyone's cooperation. Most of the
recent issues with the Production room are due to a lack of
communication. This definitely needs to improve.
Mike Lehman