[UCIMC-Tech] ethernet in Bike Project room?

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 22 16:46:05 CDT 2008

Hello UCIMC Tech folks:

    Anyone know the status of getting wired ethernet to the Bike
Project's new room (Door 24 "Big Room", not Door 24 "Anteroom")?  We
want to get wired ethernet to the Bike Project computer's RJ-45
jack.  We need this connection badly;
network access is required for the majority of our sales; and this is
a busy time of year.

  Existing connections:
A. There seems to be a switch or hub in the Door 24 "Anteroom".
Connected to it is
   1) cable leading into the wall (to Books To Prisoners?)
   2) long cable leading to  wireless access point in the Big Room
(the wireless access point has ethernet jacks, as is common).
B. The wireless access point in the Big Room is connected to:
   1) long cable anteroom device (listed above in A2)
   2) cable to Bike Project computer.
  Brief attempts could not get this setup working.  The Big Room
switch has blinking "status" light  and some response to net traffic
and plugging in devices.  (this state is after I pressed button
within the tiny 'reset' hole, before which no response to anything)

We're in immediate need of a single good wired ethernet connection to
the Bike Project computer
In coming weeks, if  possible, we'd also like one or two addiitonal
more wired ethernet jacks (via a device or even in wall) plus good
802.11 b/g wireless coverage in the Big Room.

Definitions of room names:
Back on April 13, the Bike Project moved entirely into the 50-foot-
square "Big Conveyer Belt Room", the 50-foot-square room accessible
via Door 24; the "Big Room" is reached by walking through the
"anteroom"/New Wood Shop/New Mosaic Art Space.
  ("New" wood shop and mosaic art space, since they also recently
moved, into the anteroom, also on April 13).

   Thanks for any help.

    	Cheers,

    	Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz   Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364