[UCIMC-Tech] FE Moran Fire Alarm Install

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 11:43:07 CST 2008

The FE Moran tech installed the radio link for the fire alarm system
monitoring this morning. The different box they chose to use, rather
than the initial plan, does NOT need network access. It operates solely
over the air, so that's one less thing to worry about. The static IP
address that Josh gave me will not be needed and can be recycled -- or
whatever is done with such things.

The radio monitoring link is the new red box that is above and to the
left of main fire alarm panel in the boiler room. The keys to open it
are in the plastic pouch with the fire alarm docs that sits on top of
the fire alarm panel. Written inside the door of the red radio
monitoring box is the monitoring link number that is assigned to our
alarm system, in case we ever need to cite this # for repair, etc.

Please be aware that when the alarm goes off now, the fire department
_will_ come.

One more thing. In the process of wiring the new box, the Moran tech
discovered that the ground fault the techs that did the in-service work
discovered was located somewhere in the west wing of the second floor.
Since he'd narrowed the possibilities down already in the process of
installing things today, I told him to go ahead and try to determine
where the fault was.

We got lucky and found it in the first thing we checked. It was a nicked
wire in the alarm pull box at the north end of the hall. This will be
likely be charged separately from the radio link install, but since it
was less than half an hour, it should be a small charge. And we won't
have to worry about that issue potentially summoning the fire department.

Joy helped me determine that we've only been billed for the
monitoring/inspection since the beginning of Sept. thru Feb. 2009, but
not for the work that's been done to get the alarm in service and the
radio link installed today. Based on my conversation with Josh, the
Moran rep, we should get credited back these charges, since the alarm
wasn't being monitored by them yet, but we should be expecting the
billing for the work done on the alarm in the near future.
Mike Lehman