[UCIMC-Tech] Free Geek - Computer Recycling/Training - "Helping the needy get nerdy"...

dan blah blah at chambana.net
Tue Dec 2 18:31:07 CST 2008

Hey all,

My roommate (Rory) and I were thinking of something new to do at the
IMC.  We were talking about doing the Free Geek
(http://freegeek.org/index.php) program that has been around for a
while.  This would most likely be a project of the Tech group rather
than a new group.  Before we e started putting together full proposal
to bring to the IMC, we were wondering if there was any space in the
building that is not rentable but fairly large for storage and
workspace.  The first place that came to our mind was the
cardboard/sculpture/paper graveyard.  I am pretty confident that we
can raise the funds to finish building out the stairs, rails, and
finishing to use that space.

If this is intersting to others and there are no other current plans
for the space, I would like to go ahead and put together a proposal
that includes proposed improvements to the space and showing how the
project can become sustainable.

Thanks,
--
dan