[UCIMC-Tech] Can't access google on IMC's wireless

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 11 16:04:42 CST 2008

Hi Josh,

   Were you ever able to get to the network/firewall  problem in the
IMC basement/Bike Project fixed -- glacial access to google-using-sites?
The last time I checked, I think there were still delays on sites that
use google-metrics/google-ads
We at the Bike Project really need to use our off-site wiki site, but
effectively can't because of this problem.
This is a real problem for us; starting to cause  larger and larger
organizational problems.

   (Of course, if this google problem has been recently fixed since I
last checked, please ignore, and thanks!)

		Barry

On Oct 15, 2008, at 10:44 PM, Josh King wrote:

> Hi Danielle,
>
> This is a long-standing problem with the IMC's firewall, due to a
> difference between the way OpenBSD (the operating system on the
> firewall) and other operating systems use TCP window scaling. I don't
> know why it tends to effect efforts to access google more than other
> sites, but I'm building a second firewall to swap in to fix the
> problem.
> I hope to get it done by the end of the week (it's mostly put
> together),
> but what with other work it might take until early next week.
>
> Danielle Chynoweth wrote:
>> Hi Tech folk,
>>
>> Although I was able to get on IMC's wireless (yea!), when trying to
>> navigate to Google or gmail or doing any google searching, I on a Mac
>> and my friend on a PC got this error:
>>
>> Safari can't open the page
>> "http://www.google.com/search?q=test&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=test&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>". The error
>> was:
>> "Operation could not be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error
>> 302.)"
>> (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:302) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from
>> the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did
>> before
>> you saw this message.
>>
>> I am curious as to what caused it and thought you might want to know.
>>
>> - Danielle

> Josh King
> --
> "I am an Anarchist not because I believe Anarchism is the final goal,
> but because there is no such thing as a final goal." -Rudolf Rocker

Barry Isralewitz, Ph. D.  Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364
email: barryi at ks.uiuc.edu      http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~barryi