[UCIMC-Tech] Can't access google on IMC's wireless

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 11 17:02:01 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 04:04:42PM -0600, Barry Isralewitz wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>

>   Were you ever able to get to the network/firewall  problem in the IMC
> basement/Bike Project fixed -- glacial access to google-using-sites?
> The last time I checked, I think there were still delays on sites that use
> google-metrics/google-ads
> We at the Bike Project really need to use our off-site wiki site, but
> effectively can't because of this problem.
> This is a real problem for us; starting to cause larger and larger
> organizational problems.

It still wasn't as of last week (I'll bet the new website installation has been
higher priority, which seems like a good choice to me).  But probably
the workaround that Josh has described in the past should work.

I went to the Bike Project a couple months ago and poked around on
the FreeBSD machine in the shop there.   It appeared that the "RFC1323"
workaround hadn't been installed quite right -- it looked plausible but
the boot scripts would likely misparse it.

Here's what I wrote then.  Did anybody try it??  (Obviously I couldn't
change anything on the machine myself.)