[UCIMC-Tech] A Year of Success: Holiday Wishes from the UCIMC

UCIMC UCIMC at mail.vresp.com
Tue Dec 16 17:41:27 CST 2008

Click to view this email in a browser
http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/332958/d6924187d5/1418003217/3e917081ea/

Happy Holidays from the UCIMC!

 Looking back on 2008, we are extremely grateful for the 800 plus
volunteers and almost 30,000 hours of volunteering that helped the IMC
to flourish this past year.  As we look ahead to 2009, we ask you to
consider the following wish list... at the top of our wish list is
YOU. The IMC exists to amplify community voices, talents and opinions.
   The most valuable gift you can give to the IMC is your engagement.
Please join us to help make 2009 our most successful year yet!
Steering meetings happen every first Thursday of the month at 8pm
(with the exception of our next meeting on Jan 8th, due to the
holidays).   In addition, each of the items on this wish list, both
big and small, will help all of us to "be the media" and shape our
community.   Feel free to re-gift as long as items are in working
order.	Please email Nicole at ucimc.org to arrange for donation of
items.	 Or, let us do the lifting and make a donation towards your
gift of choice: http://ucimc.org/info/donate.  Please share this email
widely!

UCIMC Updates:
This summer, we hired two great AmeriCorps VISTA workers.  Joy, our
wonderful Bookkeeper is here most days 10 - Noon.  This January, we
will have an intern from Social Work at UI for 7.5 months.  We sent
out 5 applications for grants this Fall and have more underway.  And,
we’ve streamlined our fiscally sponsored groups and we are ahead of
time for our 2008 audit.  It’s been a busy year!  Please support the
UCIMC – we need:
*Vacuum cleaners (working)
*Primer paint
*Headphones
*Compact florescent bulbs
*Reams of paper - white or colored
*LED night lights
*Bar stools (for the computer lab)
*Acrylic artists paint (for the artist’s studio)
*Artist paint brushes
*Laptop (for in the field assignments, must be functioning)
*Digital projector
*Coffee Cart

Production Group:
The Production Group has given the IMC a new voice.  Now, all
community members can borrow audio and video recorders to produce
independent news.  Already, we have helped produce audio and/or video
from a dozen local events.   To see our work, visit:
http://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanaChampaignIMC or watch for these
productions on UPTV!  Please consider donating:
*Digital video and still cameras
*Blank MiniDV cassettes
*Microphone (Condenser Shotgun, Azden ECZ-990 or Audio-Technica
ATR-55)
*Camera Light (Bescor LED-14K1 14-watt LED On, comes with camera
mount)
*Battery Pack (Impact BP-2L14 Lithium-Ion)
*VHS to Mini-DV VCR (JVC SR-VS20U S - for video to DVD transfer)
* Handy Recorder (Zoom H2 – for recording conversations)

Books to Prisoners:
This fall, Books to Prisoners had our most successful Pages for
Pennies Book Sale ever!  Currently, the group has shipped over 29,780
books to inmates in the state of Illinois.  Help us reach 30,000 by
donating these frequently requested books and critical tools:
*New, paperback English language dictionaries
*Any books by Donald Goines or other urban fiction authors
*LCD monitors

Shows Group:
This fall, the shows group sponsored the Pygmalian music festival and
updated the stage and equipment.  We want to continue to make the
space more usable, especially now that Saturday night concerts can be
broadcast live on WRFU!  Please consider donating:
*Microphone stands
*Direct Boxes (Whirlwind EDB1or Rolls DB-25)
*Microphone cables (XLR
*LED stage lights
*Cover (fabric or vinyl) for mixing board
*Velcro cable ties (or re-usable plastic ties)

Radical Librarians and Archivists:
Our group has just restarted.  We had a big work day a few weeks ago
with lots of volunteers from GSLIS.  Stay tuned ...in the meantime,
please consider donating a subscription to your favorite journal or
magazine - you can support the IMC library and media that matters.

Print & Public i
At the Public i, we are in our	8th year of publication. We’ve
expanded readership and  print 4000 copies of the paper each month.
The paper is even used in American Government classes!	Donations
towards a $5,000 for a printer to speed up our production process are
greatly appreciated, as are  volunteers to help distribute the
newspaper.

WRFU, 104.5
WRFU is currently fundraising for a tower – we recently had over 16
local artists and musicians support us at a December 6th concert at
Cowboy Monkey where we raised over $900!  Please consider donating to
the tower fund (http://www.wrfu.net/donate).   Or, consider these
other ways to support our local DJ’s:
*Headphones and other working audio equipment
*Mixing board
*Turntable and DJ-mixer
*Portable audio equipment
*Flat-screen monitor
*Construction materials for shelving, etc.
*PCs, capable of running our automation system
*Office-chairs, with armrests, good tall backs, and stable bases
*Volunteers interested in producing local programming, particularly
public affairs programming.
*Volunteers to assist with fundraising and outreach
*Anyone with electronic, computing, and audio technical skills
*Listeners and listener feedback!

Local Musicians: WRFU plays *only local music* in unscheduled
automation. Local artists and labels are welcome to send us copies of
materials they want played on air.

The Bike Project
This has been an impressive year for all of us at the Bike Project –
we went from 10 to 21 staff and from 3 to 4 open workshop days per
week.  We now collect used bikes from the cities of Champaign and
Urbana and the University of Illinois.	We gave away 1080 bike blinky
lights to raise awareness and to support bike safety.  Please consider
donating:
*'Quality' used bikes (especially road bikes)
*Truing Stand (Park TS-2)
*Shop Quality Repair Stand
* A cotter pin remover/press (http://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/)

Did you know that you can donate your Capital One credit card points
to the UCIMC?  It takes a lot of miles to get away from the cold, but
just a few to help the IMC!  Visit: https://www.capitalone.com/give/.

1.) Search for the Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center Zip code
61801
2.) Click "Donate Now"
3.) Set up a Giving Site Profile
4.) You can charge the donation to your credit card, or you can donate
with your rewards points.  The site will calculate how much you can
give based on the rewards points you have.  You can also make a
donation designation (for example, a donation to WRFU) or a
dedication.  Your donation can be anonymous or you can share your
contact information with the IMC.  It's up to you.
5.) The system will give you a receipt that you can print immediately.
 It's that simple.

UCIMC Production Studio
The UCIMC is always improving - thanks to the dedication of our
volunteers we have a new production studio, a successful "Raise the
Tower" campaign for WRFU and  a newly reorganized library.

click here
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIMC/d6924187d5/3e917081ea/00aff7b351

Your time, talent and generosity have enriched our community - thank
you for being a part of the UCIMC!  Have a happy and healthy holiday
season.

In Peace,

Your friends at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center

This message was sent by UCIMC using VerticalResponse

Nicole Pion
202 S Broadway Ave Suite 100
Urbana, Il 61801

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy:
http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html