[UCIMC-Tech] Steering Meeting Notes

Nicole Pion nicole.pion at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:13:40 CST 2008

Notes from Steering Meeting

November 6, 2008

Working Group Updates:

*Shows, Ed Hawkes & Lainey Waugh
*Staffing concerns: the shows group is short-handed lately.  Does the
Cranksgiving event need IMC staff?

In January, the IMC will have an intern here who will handle all contract
needs and enhance use of the space via educational and outreach programming.

Shows should only respond to those events that it can handle.  To this end,
all contracts should have at least on (and for larger events 2) IMC
representatives, plus their contact information, who are committed to
staffing the show.  Without this information, shows cannot be formally
approved on the calendar.

Lainey will look over the upcoming shows to make sure that they all have
adequate staffing while the group implements this policy.

*VISTA / Outreach, Nicole Pion*
The AmeriCorps grant has been submitted, with possible feedback by December.

This is a call to all working groups to please submit some specific
descriptions of volunteer roles that I can post to volunteer websites and
advertise throughout town.  This will help with many of our new groups that
will be able to get off the ground and start making an impact with a some
new support, but it also applies to other working groups that may have
specific needs.

Another item I would like groups to consider is soliciting formal
internships.  I will advertise these positions within relevant departments
at UICU, Parkland, and even local high schools, depending on the groups'
requests.  This is a great way to get committed help on specific projects
and initiatives.  Please email me if you are interested.   Now is the
perfect time to look for spring interns.

*Books to Prisoners*
Books to Prisoners recently had a very successful book sale - thanks to Deb
Sanders and all our many, many volunteers!

*Tech, Josh King*
The new IMC site is up, online, and being improved.   Josh is still working
through some bugs, but please email the tech group about any bugs or other
glitches you encounter.

*Print, Bob Illyes*
Print is working on their next issue, to be proofed in two weeks.  The
deadline for submissions is Wednesday.

*Production, Steven Fonzo*
Production will now focus on doing more trainings and workshops.  Each group
should designate 1 or 2 people who would like to serve as that group's media
support contact, who will attend the trainings, not only to learn how to
utilize the many media outlets available to working groups, but also to
learn which outlets can benefit the groups and how.

IMC video news is up and running again and volunteer news crews are needed!
Our goal is to produce half an hour's worth of video news each month.  Please
contact the production group if you are interested, these news segments can
be about anything, but we need involved community members.

SUPPORT THE PRODUCTION GROUP: our video camera was broken about 1 month ago.
A new one costs just under $200 and will greatly enhance our capacity to be
able to respond quickly to news events.  Please contribute to the fund.  At
the steering meeting alone we raised $52.75.

Production and shows are planning to host a Pizza & Movie Night fundraiser.
Rentertainment and Papa John's have offered to help sponsor the event.  Date
TBD.  If you are interested in helping to plan this event, please email the
Production group or join us at a meeting (Wed night at 7).

*Finance, Danielle Chynoweth, Jason Turner
*The group will have a meeting next week to decide how to proceed with the
property tax case.  The '07 audit has been finalized, and the group is
working to enhance building cost efficiency, based on rent and/or space
income on a raw square footage cost analysis.

OJC is still paying rent, but offices and parking spaces are available.

Key changes:  Mid-January, all #4 key locks will be changed.  Members will
need to exchange the old key for a new one, and in doing so, any lapsed
memberships should be updated to retain key privileges.

*IMC Librarians, Chris Ritzo, Lainey Waugh
*The Librarians group is newly reformed.  They are currently going through
the collection and creating an updated database.  Steering empowered the
group to edit old items in the collection and to rearrange the space to
accommodate more bookshelves and seating.

*Building Maintenance, Chris Evans
*The bathrooms will be cleaned on a weekly basis.  Groups, please be
diligent about turning off running water and notifying building staff of
leaks and other concerns.

*AWARE, Barbara Kessel, Stewart Levy
*Scrolling sign with facts on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be
mounted on the wall in the IMC lobby.

*Artists Group, Danielle Chynoweth
*We now have a kiln and a kick, just needs a permanent home in the IMC.

*Notes:
*Chris Hampson's IMC sign has been approved by the city!  The sign that will
have all working group names is still under review.