[UCIMC-Tech] Re: Google via IMC wired ethernet [was: bikeproject computer]

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:13:38 CDT 2008

Hi Josh,

  How goes the UCIMC firewall alterations?  Do you know about when
the'll be done, and we'll have access to Google sites? I saw the same
"everything works except Google" problem with my Mac OS 10.4 laptop
using the UCIMC wireless network, in Room 24 last night.  I don't see
this problem anywhere else  with my laptop..

Details:
  Just like with the Bike Project BSD machine,
every site worked except for Google sites, and sites that halted waiting
for googlesyndication.com and Google metrics.

  My laptop has been on scores (hundreds?) of wireless networks, UCIMC
is the only place where I've seen "everything works except Google".
Since this is a public wireless network, it should probably work with
standard configuration machines.

  As I might have told you earlier, Bike Project  is relying incresingly
on an external wiki which uses googlesyndication, so works everyhwere
except in Bike Project (using local Mediawiki would be better, yes), and
have lots of call to access Google mail and Google docs.

                  Cheers,

                  Barry