[UCIMC-Tech] no Google access for Bike Project, please help

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 24 14:16:44 CDT 2008

Hi,

 To anyone working on the building network this week, helping with with the
current servers/websites outage:

Please fix Google domain access for the Bike Project shop - at least for
wired ethernet and (if time) also for basement wireless ethernet.

  Do you need Bike Project to chip in money for some required equipment
(or soley  purchase it)?  Would my own help for an evening be useful?
(mid-level networking, Unix admin scripting/programming skills, can
build ethernet cables, lift somewhat-heavy things).  On that last point
-- do we have any internal documentation for building network setup,
routers, firewalls, etc?

  I've been regularly asking for help with this for 4 months now,
Bike Project needss web access to our own organization tools more than
ever, this really is critical time because of recent increases in members and
staff.

(Note: nothing to do with current website outage)

  Problem is: we can't access thousands of sites that happen to use tiny
components served by Google. Also, no gmail (often vital) or google
searches (not a problem, Yahoo is acceptable).  Has not worked for us
since the connection was hooked up, late April 2008. Everything works
except the handful of google-owned sites, and the vast army  of
google-using sites.Been complaining for last 4 months since imc-tech
list, individual tech people (who have kindly spent some time trying to
fix this, but too busy to complete fix), at meetings (admittedly
non-tech ones). Not our computer's fault, my Mac laptop sees same weird
problem -- and it has connected just fine to google-sites and google on
hundreds of networks.

 Firewall problem?  Other?

 What can we do to get this fixed?

  If this has been worked on and fixed since I checked last week, sorry
for rant, and thanks!

  If not fixed, please help.

                    Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz, Ph. D.
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group,