[UCIMC-Tech] no Google access for Bike Project, please help

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 24 14:32:34 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 02:16:44PM -0500, Barry Isralewitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  To anyone working on the building network this week, helping with with the
> current servers/websites outage:
>
> Please fix Google domain access for the Bike Project shop - at least for
> wired ethernet and (if time) also for basement wireless ethernet.

I tried doing a tcpdump from a Mac laptop last weekend while on the IMC net.
After exchanging a few packets, google sends a RST -- or at least that's the
way it looks on the wire.

Is it possible this is a TCP ECN problem, where the RST isn't actually
coming from google but is a misfeature of the router?  What's doing the
routing from IMC-net to the rest of the world -- a dedicated box, or a FreeBSD
host, or what?