[UCIMC-Tech] Re: [Discuss] [Announce] Administration for the listservs

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 31 09:04:09 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:36:40AM -0500, John W. wrote:
> I don't know how relevant the domain name is as opposed to the server, but I
> recall that some time ago on the Peace-discuss list I began using <
> peace-discuss at anti-war.net>, because we were having trouble with <
> peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>.  There never seems to be any trouble with
> <peace-discuss at anti-war.net>.  And I would imagine that they're both on the
> same server.  Or maybe not.  Perhaps Stuart or Randall could clarify?

Yes, same server, same software path -- they're synonymous.  However, at
one point this January, the chambana.net domain expired, and once
renewed it took 3-4 more days for the last of the nonexistent-domain-name
cached entries to evaporate.  That meant that chambana.net mail couldn't
even reach the server and was broken for quite a while.  I think that's the
only reason that one name behaved differently from the other.