[UCIMC-Tech] VISTA Farewell

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:32:29 CDT 2009

Hello Everyone,

Today is officially my last day as an AmeriCorps VISTA with the IMC.  I
will, however, be spending some time in the next few days to get the
training manuals, guides, and other documents I've created saved and posted
somewhere digitally where they will be accessible.  Please bear with me (and
our web sites) as I try to find the best solution.  I'm not leaving town
immediately, so you'll probably see me around occasionally.

There have been many highlights in the past year, including new working
groups, events, festival fundraisers, grant awards, new volunteers and
staff, more media production, self-reflection, and the consistent excellence
of the Public i and Books to Prisoners.

Becoming a full-time volunteer for the IMC has been a rewarding and
interesting experience, and I have especially appreciated the opportunity to
really get to know many of you and collaborate on important projects.  The
past two years have been a challenging time for many organizations, but you
all continue to do good work with grace and idealism, and you deserve
recognition for that.  This won't be short, but your name might be in this
list, so please read on:

I would like to directly acknowledge, first and foremost, my co-workers
Nicole Pion and Jason Keist for the diligent and amazing work and attitudes
they bring to the IMC; I urge all of you to support them in their ideas and
efforts.  I have seen the IMC accomplish more and more of its central
mission through their day-to-day attentions, and through a growing
collaborative spirit as evidenced by relatively new groups such as
Production, Librarians, Community Connections (great initiative, Elizabeth
Simpson!), and the Artists (Atef, Betsem, Chris Evans, and Chris Hampson
have really beautified the space with their art and creativity).

Josh King has been as patient and supportive as a VISTA leader as he has
been as the primary technical manager of the IMC's network and sites.  Most
of what we do would not be possible, or as efficient, without Josh's time
and knowledge.  Dan Blah and Chris Ritzo have also been indispensable for
their Tech work and creative ideas in many different projects at the IMC -
including the Library, IMC Fest, Shows group, August Skill-shares, and more.

I would also like to acknowledge the core members of the Finance group for
keeping the place going and keeping track of the fine print - Joy Davis,
Mike Lehman, Danielle Chynoweth, Michelle Shumate, and Jason Turner have
each worked hard to support and organize everyone, so please thank them when
you get the chance, and help them by participating in Finance, Steering,
Outreach, and Community Connections.  Joy, you keep this place real like no
one else.

Two groups that I worked very closely with in the past year are WRFU and
Shows.  I've seen three very capable WRFU Station Managers (Mike Lehman,
Andrew O'Baoill, and now Lori Serb) take pride in our community radio
station and help it to become more organized, bigger (excellent work on the
Tower Fund!), and richer in independent media content.  Active volunteers
like Noel Vivar, Ray Morales, the Hawkins family, Aimee Rickman, Joe
Futrelle, Maggie Taylor, and many more have been great individuals to work
with and increased the public presence of the station.  The Shows group is a
small group with its well-documented ups and downs, but I think they are
some of the most "unsung" heroes of the IMC, creating a performance venue
unlike any other in town, and for which artists from across the country
regularly compliment us.  Ed Hawkes, Tommy Griscom, Dan Blah, Rory Durkin,
Larry Keller, and Kylani have brought and staffed a variety of shows
representing just about every genre, and it has been a pleasure helping them
organize.  Please support the Shows group by staffing or booking shows, and
helping our new AmeriCorps booking staff member when he/she arrives - the
IMC could be making much-needed income from a wise and frequent use of the
concert space.

Finally, I must leave a special note for all the members of the Production
group, which has been central to my work at the IMC, and which I believe
could expand the media, educational, and collaborative aspects of the
Independent Media Center.  In just a year, we created a working production
room with facilities for recording, editing, and teaching media, we planned
a very successful local film festival, and we cultivated relationships with
UPTV, the Don Moyers Boys & Girls Club, the READY School, the Tashi Choling
Center for Buddhist Studies, and our own WRFU, among others.  The group (and
room) are in excellent hands with our new Consortium employee Jacob Barton.
Though Production meetings are still small, the list of individuals that
have helped create it and make it thrive is long: Nicole Pion, Jason Keist,
Jacob Barton, Chris Ritzo, Lori Serb, Cope Cumpston, Carly Nix, Tommy
Griscom, Chris Evans, Danielle Chynoweth, Brian Dolinar, Bob Illyes, Dave
Powers, Andrew O'Baoill, Josh King, Dan Blah, and more.  I encourage all IMC
members to join Production or attend some meetings (Wednesdays at 7pm) -
learning how to create audio, video, and more; and publishing content in all
sorts of old and new ways.

If I've left out your name or your group, that's my fault, not yours - the
IMC is a collective and everyone's contributions are meaningful.  I did at
least want to say thanks and wish everyone the best as you move forward.

-Stephen

--
Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor