[UCIMC-Tech] are we blacklisted? Is a chambana.net or IMC machine spamming?

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 9 11:12:00 CDT 2009

Hi Josh,

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 10:59:13PM -0500, Josh King wrote:
> I haven't been using one of our offsite servers as a mail relayhost
> since we had problems with it a few weeks ago. I reinstated it, and now
> all outgoing mail is getting sent through it instead of direct from the
> mailserver at the IMC. I haven't seen more bounces in the logs so far,
> so I think we just have to keep an eye on it.

  Short version:  Josh, could you click the "Request delisting" link on
the below cbl.abuseat.org page, to request de-listing of our host
75.145.177.77 from CBL.

  Details:
  Our server 75.145.177.77 (mail.chambana.net) is still listed in CBL,
and thus XBL, and thus Spamhaus.  This means bounces are still
possible/likely from mail servers that rely on either (correct?) --
like some/all hotmail.com accounts .  (Who knows, there might also might
be non-bounce filtering based on SBL , PBL, XBL, Spamhaus, etc that we are not hearing
about.)
  Checking right now (Tue Jun  9 11:00:56 CDT 2009):
http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=75.145.177.77&.submit=Lookup
==============
IP Address 75.145.177.77 is currently listed in the CBL.

It was detected at 2009-06-03 17:00 GMT (+/- 30 minutes), approximately
5 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes ago.
===============
 Josh, can you click the "de-list" link on the above page to request
de-listing from CBL.  I'd do it myself, but since we need to keep the
number of requests low, and we might need to do this again before
problem is resolved, seems best to have only one person doing it.   The
site will start ignoring de-list requests if we cry "wolf" too many
times (well, really cry "no wolf" too many times), i.e. if  too many
de-list requests are made without a halt to the spam/malware traffic.

 Let me know when you request the de-list (or if you already have done
this).  If we are de-listed, and soon re-listed, we'll know we're still
a source of spam/malware traffic and have some looking around to do....

        Cheers,

        Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz, Ph. D.
3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign