[UCIMC-Tech] "Playback Theatre" volunteer request!

Jason Keist jkeist2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:46:26 CDT 2009

Hello all,

   My name is Jason Keist.  I am currently the IMC's Program Development
Coordinator-intern.  I wanted to inform you of an upcoming one-day youth
workshop that is set to take place on June 27th (Sat.) from 10a-2p. at the
IMC aimed at youths 10-17 years of age.

   The workshop is entitled "Playback Theatre" and is organized by Dr. James
Murrell (Asheville, N.C.).  The main purpose of the workshop is to: (in Dr.
Murrell's words)

   - Use theatre games to explore themes that are important to teens and
   elicit stories from their reals lives, including time for discussion and
   processing.
   - Explore issues of power: who has power in their lives and where/when do
   they experience or exercise power, and re-imagining where they could have
   power.
   - Gives youth concrete tools and practice to imagine, create, explore,
   and implement life choices that foster peace, deeper satisfying
   relationships, and new possibilities for creating fulfilling lives for
   themselves.
   - Youth learn imporv. theatre, storytelling, conflict mediation, and
   non-violent communication training.

  Youth 16 and older will pay an admissions fee of $5.  Those under 16 years
of age will participate for FREE!  Dr. Murrell is looking for 1-2 adults to
help with general workshop activities.  Interested individuals will assist
with note-taking, as well as direct workshop participation.  This is a
wonderful one-time opportunity for those passionate about youth-art
engagement as well as those with a penchant for working within the
performing arts.
 Please contact me if you are interested in assisting with this event.

--
Jason Keist
Program Development  Coordinator-Intern