[UCIMC-Tech] members only pages

Joshua King josh at ucimc.org
Mon Oct 26 11:13:56 CDT 2009

Hi Chris,

Sorry to reply back to you after you've already put some work in, but I have
some thoughts.

It seems to me that there are three use cases we want to enable:

1. A private workspace/documentation-space where groups or staff can
collaborate on projects or post their knowledge.
2. Public pages which are privately edited.
3. A public documentation/workspace where information or questions can be
submitted but is privately managed.

The way I was sort of thinking this might work is have a role like you set
up on the main site, and allow that role to edit certain kinds of public
pages (like an editor, but for static information pages, so that we can have
more than one separation of privileges on the site). This could also include
private pages on the site. This would fill use-case 2, which you've already
taken care of.

I'm also very close to finishing, once I work out a couple of permissions
problems, a private "backpage" using the Drupal-based OpenAtrium project.
This could allow each group to have a private documentation space,
twitter-alike, blog, calendar, and project tracking mechanism. These would
be located at <groupname>.project.ucimc.org, or .backpage.ucimc.org, or
whatever. I may be able to get this online as early as this afternoon. This
could fill use-case 1.

Some groups, like IMC-Tech, might want others to be able, for instance, to
submit problem tickets and help requests. OpenAtrium could also provide a
public functionality like that, filling use-case 3.

What do you think of this as an overall plan? Any suggestions or changes, or
a different direction we should take?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Chris Ritzo <chris.ritzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did go ahead with this implementation this afternoon, althought there are
> no users currently assigned to the UCIMC members role. Once we get the list
> of folks for the member list we can cross check them against the users
> online.
>

> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Chris Ritzo <chris.ritzo at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>> Part of the recent discussions about the IMC list changes also included
>> creating a members only space on the IMC website.
>>
>> I wasn't sure if anyone (Josh, Brian, I'm looking at you) had already
>> started work on this.  I was going to if you had not and thought before I
>> did too much I'd ping the tech list.
>>
>> Here's what I'm thinking:
>> - create a new content type: UCIMC Members Only page
>> - create a new user role: UCIMC member
>> - set permissions on creating and viewing such pages to the new role.
>>
>> This would allow admins to distinguish UCIMC members from any old person
>> signing up on the website (authenticated users).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> -Chris

Josh King