[UCIMC-Tech] Odd Stuff - Hacking?

Joshua King josh at ucimc.org
Fri Sep 18 10:22:57 CDT 2009

I'm not sure why the "Table" button on the comment form is being
highlighted, but I don't think it's related to the comment. The WYSIWYG
button you refer to has to do with HTML tables, a layout element. The "ALTER
TABLE" is an SQL database command, which made me worry that this might be a
hacking attempt. However, since there is no code in the comment and it seems
to be spam about an article on MySQL databases, I think it's just an
unfortunately named spam title rather than a hack attempt, unless it's
either far more subtle or far more clumsy than I'm anticipating.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net>wrote:

> Yesterday we had a strange post as comment 7127 (The Big ALTER TABLE Test)
> to this post:
> http://www.ucimc.org/content/beyond-chief-thief-mark-nepermann-pleads-
> "not-guilty"-arraignment
>
> I'm not sure what a "ALTER TABLE" is, but now when you go to the comment
> form, you find one of the editing buttons on the form highlighted )which
> looks like a table to me) that indicates it's for "Toggle
> guidelines/invisible elements".
>
> Since that happened, we've had about half a dozen comments made that have
> no connection to the posts they are made to. I just wanted to bring this up
> in case it was something fishy.
> Mike Lehman

Josh King