[UCIMC-Tech] web logs have wrong IP's, less info

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 13 16:54:35 CDT 2010

Hi,
	Thanks again for getting the web sites and server access back up.
A problem, though:

	The web logs I see from the new server fixx0 seem not to contain the
usual info.
	See for example, on fixx0:
/var/log/www/thebikeproject.org-access.log
   -- All IP's appear as 127.0.0.1.  (Web stats software like awstats
will tell  me about this single unique visitor who is very
enthusiastic!)
  -- There's no User-agent  or Referer info. I think
thebikeproject.org web logs until now were using the info-heavy
"Combined Log Format, which provides these, and the new logs are using
the sparser "Common Log Format".  At least going by http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html
  .

   Me, I'd prefer the more informative Combined Log Format; this gets
a little more info back from awstats...plus can help testing.

	Possibly related: I'm not positive you guys want me logging in to
fixx0 yet in the first place, judging from the whoami result (and
prompt) when logged in (my userid is barryi).  Should I be logging in
to fixx0 yet, or should I wait a couple of days?
===
I have no name!@fixx0:/var/log (((i))) whoami
1020
===

	Let me know about logs and logging in...

			Cheers,

			Barry
--
Barry Isralewitz
3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

believed to be clean.