[UCIMC-Tech] [IMC] Bring the U-C IMC's only reliable historical record back to the public please.

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:01:37 CST 2010

I don't think the intent was ever to be secretive. It was to provide a list
for people to subscribe to who just wanted to know about events happening at
the IMC, and not all of its discussion & business. As Dan and Zach mention,
the listservs were the primary means for organizing, discussing and decision
making in the early days of the IMC. That institutional record needs to be
preserved. Whether that's making things the way they were, or establishing
some other means, we can all discuss and find consensus.

As the IMC has grown, we're connecting with people who have a broader range
of interest in the IMC. Not everyone wants to read through the list archives
when they become a new member. Some people just want to know about the shows
that we're putting on next week. Others become more involved and want to
know about and participate in decision making processes.

Whatever we decide to do, ultimately we need to consider that we're not the
same organization as we were 10 years ago. Our underlying values are the
same- we all want transparency and openness. So I think we need to find a
solution that both suits the needs of spokes to talk about stuff
non-publicly, and allows people to subscribe to an open list, and allows
general folks (non-IMC and IMC members) to subscribe to an events only list
and not have to get the other stuff if they don't want to. I think the
proposal that Dan made can work to do that.

We also need to think about Carly's comment regarding access, organization,
and archiving. Having our entire institutional memory ONLY in list archive
form just isn't good enough. We can find a better way to make this info and
a bunch more of our history publicly available online. This is a much bigger
and different project that I'm interested in being a part of.

For now, let's put this on the agenda for March steering & skype in anyone
who wants to be there remotely. If you'd like to call/skype in, contact
imc-tech at lists.chambana.net so we can get you set up in advance.

-cheers, Chris

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> It has never made sense to me that the old imc at ucimc.org list was
> redefined. Doing so violated the KISS rule. I did not know that the archives
> had also been locked down, which is REALLY not a good idea.
>
> I would prefer that the imc list revert to its original use and that we
> have a single Steering list that any member may ask to be on (rather than
> the two internal lists that have been added). If we get more secretive than
> that, we're going to a place where a consensus-based (or democratic, for
> that matter) organization should not go.
>
> Bob

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.