[UCIMC-Tech] update on finance computer/PD computer issues

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 15:15:08 CDT 2010

All,
I just conferred with Brian Duggan on IMC Tech's next steps for the
situation with the Finance computer and corollary issues. This
hopefully will be a summary so that everyone knows where things stand.

Data Recovery:
The hard drive in the finance machine is dying. Brian has been making
every effort to recover data from the drive and will provide me with
an update later today. What folks need to understand about this is
that it simply takes a lot of time. System recovery tools are slow,
and it simply just takes time to try multiple strategies to get data
off of failing hardware. I hope to have a good report later today.

Hardware & Software Replacement:
Tech is also preparing cost estimates for both software and
replacement hardware for this machine and will propose that GenOps
money be used to pay for replacement hardware, a licensed copy of
Windows, Quickbooks, and MS Office. The machine is not suitable to
simply be upgraded, echoing Mike Lehman's comment, and as such we're
recommending new hardware be purchased in order to properly run
Windows 7 or Windows 2008 Server Edition.  Brian Duggan is putting
together a comprehensive item list with costs for the required
hardware & software. In addition to what's been discussed already in
this thread, we will need to include costs for Antivirus and
Anti-Spyware software in order to properly secure this workstation.

Why Windows 2008 Server?  We've been told that multiple people will
need to be able to use Remote Desktop to access this machine,
potentially at the same time. This is not supported by Windows 7
editions, only the Server edition. It requires the initial license and
additional licenses per multiple Remote Desktop user. Additionally,
it's not clear whether Quickbooks actually supports multiple Remote
Desktop users accessing its data files at the same time. It would be a
cost savings if we simply said that only one person can access the
machine remotely at a time. We could then just buy one copy of Windows
7. Is it an absolute necessity for Joy, Jason and Wayne to be able to
log in remotely at the same time?

Program Director Computer:
Joy has mentioned the incompatibility of files coming from Americorps
in Word and Excel format. I have asked that tech be provided examples
of these files to confirm this incompatibility before pursuing an
additional Windows workstation. This was the first time that the tech
group had heard about this issue, so we want to see if we can avoid
additional purchase costs by providing training. It's our preference
to support open source software whenever possible, but if these are
truly incompatible files we'll move toward support whatever is needed
for the program director to open, edit and use these files without
needing to use the bookkeeper's workstation. Some of these files are
on the drive that Brian is recovering, but I have asked Carol and Joy
for copies that may be available in email in-boxes, on the PD computer
or elsewhere.

I will provide an update on this on behalf of the Tech group as soon
as we have more information. Please let us know if there are issues or
questions. I echo Joy's call for consensus via the list on allocating
GenOps funding to resolve this situation quickly and appropriately.
Everyone should know that Tech is actively working on doing just that.

Chris R.