[UCIMC-Tech] books2prisoners.org domain name problem at the IMC only

Josh King josh at ucimc.org
Sat Mar 13 18:41:20 CST 2010

Hi Jay,

The entire DNS and firewall system has actually since been completely
recreated, and doesn't employ the same kind of system. Our internal DNS
system now only comes into play for domains that we host. At least when
connected to one of the servers at the IMC from home, I can reach
www.books2prisoners.org just fine now. Which computer were you using,
and were you able to access other websites besides books2prisoners.org?
Let me know and I'll hopefully be able to take a look soon. Thanks!

On 03/13/2010 03:23 PM, Jay Schubert wrote:
> Hey Josh,
>
> Any chance we're experiencing this DNS problem again?  I can reach
> www.books2prisoners.org from my mobile phone but not from computers
> connected through the IMC's Internet connection.
>
> - Jay
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM, <josh at ucimc.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jay,
>>
>> A few days ago I completely rewrote the internal DNS for the building to
>> help keep this from happening again (sometimes it's been a Comcast issue),
>> but I accidentally copied an old books2prisoners.org zone file into the
>> new configuration. I removed that file and now everything should be working
>> again, let me know if you have any other problems. Note that windows
>> computers and some browsers cache DNS info for a really long time, so if
>> you're still having problems the first thing you should try is restarting
>> the browser, followed by restarting the computer if it persists.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Jay Schubert <jay.schubert at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Tech,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why this keeps happening?  We can't access
>>> books2prisoners.org from inside the IMC.  There is some problem with DNS
>>> only in our building.
>>>
>>> We can access it just fine using our host IP and web home directory
>>> http://204.11.72.69/~books2pr<http://204.11.72.69/%7Ebooks2pr/outreach_coordinator.php>/
>>>  but books2prisoners.org does not resolve.  Again, this is not a problem
>>> anywhere except in the IMC that I'm aware of.  It's been an intermittent
>>> issue for several years.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jay

>> --
>> Josh King
>> --
>> "I am an Anarchist not because I believe Anarchism is the final goal,
>> but because there is no such thing as a final goal." -Rudolf Rocker

- --
Josh King
- --

believed to be clean.