[UCIMC-Tech] cool tool

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 15 17:35:28 CDT 2010

Hi Chris,

On Mar 11, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Chris Ritzo wrote:

> have any of you seen this tool:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/etherpad/
>
> might be a cool server service to add on to imc tech/...

	Heh, I was a big fan and user of Etherpad...before they sold to
Google, announced the end of the service, and went to work for the
Wave team.  You may go bear witness to my personal fame, as the second
testimonial on their old site...
http://etherpad.com/ep/about/testimonials

	Etherpad offered amazingly low-barrier collaborative text editing.
For the time being,  you can still make and share public pads at http://etherpad.com/
  to try it out, but  all  services on that site are scheduled to be
discontinued before the end of this month. Would be nice if Google
Wave had the option of a straightforward Etherpad-like environment.

		Could be useful for IMC, say for group reporting/editing, meetings,
etc.. There are usability / security tradeoffs, since every keystroke
is saved, deletion does not prevent typed  info from being later
viewed.  I don't know if this release has past-text deletion
implemented / available as a compile option.  Even with that, I'd
think for any sort of activity which might include private details in
notes, you'd set access documents via username/password logins instead
of the nice super-low-barrier "click-a-link-and-start editing" method
used to access the public pads. But still worth it for the user.
	Of course, you'd want to weigh the effort of installing/maintaining
this vs. the chances that Google will start offering something like
this soon as a Wave-related service.

		Cheers,

		Barry

Barry Isralewitz
3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Office Phone: (217) 244-1612
email: barryi at ks.uiuc.edu   http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~barryi

believed to be clean.