[UCIMC-Tech] cool tool

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 19:26:47 CDT 2010

Barry,
I also really liked the low barrier to just jumping into a document to
collaborate. We'll see if this moves forward. I coudl see it being used by a
group of authenticated users in a protected area of the backpage or website.

Haven't ever set it up so I'm not sure about the security & logging stuff
you mention.

-Chris

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Barry Isralewitz <barryi at ks.uiuc.edu>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Mar 11, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Chris Ritzo wrote:
>
> have any of you seen this tool:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/etherpad/
>
> might be a cool server service to add on to imc tech/...
>

> Heh, I was a big fan and user of Etherpad...before they sold to Google,
> announced the end of the service, and went to work for the Wave team.  You
> may go bear witness to my personal fame, as the second testimonial on their
> old site...
> http://etherpad.com/ep/about/testimonials
>
> Etherpad offered amazingly low-barrier collaborative text editing.  For the
> time being,  you can still make and share public pads at
> http://etherpad.com/ to try it out, but  all  services on that site are
> scheduled to be discontinued before the end of this month. Would be nice if
> Google Wave had the option of a straightforward Etherpad-like environment.
>
>  Could be useful for IMC, say for group reporting/editing, meetings, etc..
> There are usability / security tradeoffs, since every keystroke is saved,
> deletion does not prevent typed  info from being later viewed.  I don't know
> if this release has past-text deletion implemented / available as a compile
> option.  Even with that, I'd think for any sort of activity which might
> include private details in notes, you'd set access documents via
> username/password logins instead of the nice super-low-barrier
> "click-a-link-and-start editing" method used to access the public pads. But
> still worth it for the user.
> Of course, you'd want to weigh the effort of installing/maintaining this
> vs. the chances that Google will start offering something like this soon as
> a Wave-related service.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Barry

> Barry Isralewitz
> Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group
> 3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
> Office Phone: (217) 244-1612
> email: barryi at ks.uiuc.edu   http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~barryi<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ebarryi>

believed to be clean.