[UCIMC-Tech] Fwd: [Imc-communication] Fwd: Cop17 coverage / IMC-Africa / VozMob Drupal Distro / mobile enabled IMC conversation

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 6 17:13:21 CDT 2011

FYI, re discussion on the global IMC list, which may be of interest
since we run drupal.
Mike

Drupal Distro / mobile enabled IMC conversation
Date: 	Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: 	Sphinx <sphinx at indymedia.org>
CC: 	imc-communication at lists.indymedia.org,
imc-process at lists.indymedia.org, new-imc at lists.indymedia.org

Cop17 coverage / IMC-Africa / VozMob Drupal Distro / mobile enabled IMC
conversation

Agenda

1. intros

(reallllly short :)

we had folks involved in lots of projects including:

IMC drupal dev

http://mi-cr.org

http://imc-africa.mayfirst.org

http://vozmob.net

https://guardianproject.info (aka nathan at guardianproject.info)

2. various possible ways to collaborate on code/features?

A. Install and configure various mobile related modules on existing IMCs
(vozmob modules, voip drupal, etc - what about spip IMCs?)

B. Fork http://code.vozmob.net using git and use that as the basis for a
new mobile-focused IMC

C. What's up with a general Indymedia Drupal Distro?

I think its plagued by internatonal borders
  there are a bunch of projects, not collaborating effectively. we should
get them all on git, and do a f2f meeting, and make it kick ass,
including mobile.
<sphinx>  :-)
<sphinx>  I will agree
<ross>  schock: that's a pretty good idea.
<mark>  - more important to get the features working well, so existing
drupal IMCs can add them

D. How about an Indymedia Drupal server

     * just like koumbit gives drupal accounts with many modules one can
select, one can do the same for an IMC distro, put it on a server
where individual collectives can have an account (drupalgardens, for
IMCs).

E. IMC-Drupal communication and coordination

     * need for better communication on imc-drupal list, irc, and organize
a f2f meeting to map out and sprint on it.

some resources for drupal IMCs
http://mi-cr.org/

3. What would be needed to make it work in African context?

VozMobDD (see http://code.vozmob.net , http://dev.vozmob.net ) Key working
features:

     * sms registration

     * voice posting

     * sms posting

     * mms posting

     * post from phones to Groups

     * add location info to nodes

     * add tags via #tag in message body

     * (what else?)

Key alpha features (work but not tested robustly):

     * send sms to phones

     * send mms to phones

     * sent to all phones in a Group

     * (what else?)

Key new features under dev: see http://dev.vozmob.net

Gateways.

We would need working sms (and mms) to web gateways. Currently just
available in South Africa.

Using a phone is an option - SMS can be forward to any web service, and
also remote web services can send to any SMS phone in return

     * Android as Gateway

     * https://github.com/niryariv/kalsms/wiki/ allows any SMS to be sent,
to this phone, then forwarded over wifi or mobile data to any web
service

     * SMSSync is another SMS-to-internet gateway
http://blog.ushahidi.com/index.php/2010/11/10/launching-smssync-an-android-phone-as-sms-gateway/

     * Desktop as gateway, with a modum that takes SIM (see mbuni project?)

     * Voice gateways (so people can call in to a phone number and leave
audio content that posts to web)

     * Voice. Better voice capabilities would be key to increasing the
usefulness of IMCs in Africa.

     * http://www.drupal.org/project/voipdrupal

     * setup a bunch of different dial-in numbers, all going to one voip
server

     * DIDWW is a good source for cheap inbound numbers:
http://www.didww.com/Retail-Customers that route to any SIP server

4. Adding mobile capabilities for Durban IMC convergence around Cop17

November 25 to Dec 12
(http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-africa/2011-February/0223-e5.html
)

Questions to answer:

To what site(s) will people be posting coverage?

     * southafrica.indymedia.org?

     * imc-africa.mayfirst.org?

     * a number of sites, maybe syndicated to one site for combined coverage?

     * etc

What resources do we need to have mobile enabled IMC for cop17 coverage?

     * gateway filters for phone companies, tested

     * secure gateways?

     * voip server?

     * phones w/decent cameras and MMS packages for key IMC reporters?

     * a secure call-in system with multiple inbound numbers?

Minimum case:

1. adding filters for existing SA mobile providers, to post to imcs
(using vozmob modules)
2. setting up our own gateway on a phone  (and integrate w/imcs )
3. setting up a voip server and multiple dial in numbers (and integrate to
imc sites using voip drupal module?

Ideal Case:

free secure sms/mms gateways in each country (for sms/mms to&  from web)
free secure voip servers&  gateway in each country (for calls to web,
IVRs, etc)

5. next steps?

- who wants to coordinate f2f IMC drupal meeting?
- implement vozmob filters for sms&  mms posting from South African mobile
phone providers
- move vozmob code to git.drupal.org (modules, features, themes, install
profile).
- post notes to imc-drupal-dev, imc-africa, new-imc, imc-process,
imc-communications,

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======