[UCIMC-Tech] [Tech Klatch] Meeting Minutes

Austin McCann austinmccann at ucimc.org
Tue Jan 25 16:19:32 CST 2011

All-IMC-Tech Klatch

January 24, 2011

*In attendance: Austin McCann (Finance), Kristina Williams (WRFU/Print),
Isak Griffiths (Shows), Jay Schubert (B2P), Barry Isralewitz (Bike Project),
Brian Duggan (Tech/Makerspace), Chris Ritzo (Tech), Bob Illyes (Print),
Tatyana Safranova (volunteer), Carl Stewart (Bike Project)*

   - Introduction
   - Web sign-ups
      - Bob: There’s going to be limited return on this project, b/c not
      everyone looks at the websites
   - Shows announcements list
   - Group-specific Membership link, connected to CiviCRM/Paypal
   - Complaints about Finance
      - Chris: Some groups manage their own finances and don’t see the value
      of getting regular reports, esp. as Finance has been historically bad at
      getting people the information they need
      - Brian: Finance are not generally responsive to Tech needs; people in
      Finance actively challenge suggestions that Brian makes, ignore
attempts at
      configuration and training
      - Bob/Chris: And no one goes to Steering from Finance; somebody used
      to do that to give a financial update of our organization
      - Groups need to be getting regular reports
      - Austin: Explanation of Finance practices & personnel changes
      - Bob: Steering voted on allocating 5% of all money taken in from
      working groups to give to the IMC; talk of it given up to 10% --
look that
      up!
      - Bob: I’m partial to paying even higher than 5%
         - One of the difficulties is people don’t know where the money is
         going
         - Austin: We’re going to be releasing a 2010 Annual Report; has
         that been done before?
         - Chris: It used to be done
      - “Donate” link
   - Sharing contacts that exist: putting them in the IMC database
      - Incl. non-members, e.g. people on the Shows list
      - Chris: Is there any reason you want to do that?
      - Austin: Yes, including those people in Membership drives and annual
      appeals would be helpful
   - Shows email
      - Maybe this shouldn’t be just Shows info: what about other kinds of
      news?, like when the paper gets published, there are new RFU
programs, etc.
      - Austin: Let’s not make the perfect the enemy of the good here:
      getting out an email just with Shows stuff right now would be an
      improvement
      - Long discussion about using CiviMail vs. using listserv for the
      Shows email purpose
      - Barry: We make people sign-in when they come in to events
         - That would be more difficult for the IMC as a whole
      - Membership Drive
      - Bob: You should consider sending out to anyone that has an IMC
      listserv account a request for Membership or donations; do this
annually or
      2wice a year
      - Prorating membership
      - Barry: We have really big memberships
         - We have a link to join the IMC on the Bike Project site
         - If they want 24 hour access, they have to join the IMC
      - Jay: I need to see a list of who is up-to-date on their dues
      - Chris: Community Connections wiki has info on membership
         - Each working group listed benefits
      - Chris: What’s the process of getting keys back?
      - Include footer of “Become an IMC member” on various pages?
      - Brian: What about an IMC banner? Incl. IMC membership links, logos
         - We want to be able to identify each project
      - Questions for a later date from Barry
      - From Barry: Argus or similar automatic monitoring of services (e.g.
      emails Tech that web site is down before Mike Lehman notices)
         - Barry: I ask for it every 3 months!
      - Return IP numbers to web logs

PROJECTS:

   - Austin: Figure out precise updates for online Membership form, send to
   Chris to be worked-out (collaboratively)
   - Austin: Write language for each sub-site to incl. re: “Sign up to stay
   in touch!” and “Become a Member of the UC-IMC!”
   - Austin: Create a “Benefits of UC-IMC Membership” page on website to be
   linked to
   - Isak: Think about the Shows email: who could be writing it? What
   platform for dissemination should we use? How can we get more people on the
   list?

Are folks interested in having a follow-up meeting at some point? Would
using a Tech meeting time be inappropriate for our purposes?

Thanks,
Austin

--
Austin McCann, Development Adviser