[UCIMC-Tech] Status of the Production room

Kristina Williams kristinawho at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 14:07:54 CST 2011

Last week (or was it two weeks ago), I took the better part of that week to
clean the Production, which had badly needed some cleaning. I was very happy
to have made some extra space for the equipment check-out cabinet next to
the Production computer.

Before I had a chance to do so, the equipment check-out cabinet had been
moved into the recording studio and a giant printer (that only copies) was
brought into the Production room without my knowledge and taking up the
space I had spent so much time working to clear. Also, a large box was
placed in the public space where all my things had been dumped.

A few days later I walk into work and, not one but TWO more printers, a
desk, computer monitor, and a tower found its way into the Production room,
taking up more space.

At that point, I talked with Brian and requested he let me know via email if
and when any computer equipment finds its way into the Production room. A
few days later, I walk into work and, to my complete surprise, find a desk
and ANOTHER printer in the production room. In case you lost count, there
are now FOUR printers in the Production room, one that copies, one that
prints and two that are just sitting here. I have made several requests now
to members of Finance and Tech about the status of those printers. Tech says
talk to Finance. Finance says talk to Tech. Not my problem. blah blah blah.

I don't care who decided to put these in the Production room, I want the
functionless printers out now.  I've asked several times now and have been
very patient. I willing to overlook how ridiculous it is to have one printer
that prints and one printer that copies, but I am unwilling to ignore the
fact that most people treat this as a secondary issue.

The Production room is not intended to be a dump site for half-finished tech
projects and recycled or donated parts. It looks completely unappealing to
visitors who tour the space, and considering we call ourselves a MEDIA
center, I am frustrated with how quickly people are willing to throw the
Production room into the latest batch of failed/dormant IMC projects,
considering this: The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center is a
grassroots organization committed to using media production and distribution
as tools for promoting social and economic justice in the Champaign County
area.  <-- That's the first sentence of the IMC mission statement. But do
you know what the most annoying thing about this whole ordeal is? That I
have to write this pithy email in the first place to get someone to listen
to a very reasonable request.

In the future, please work with me when making changes in the Production
room. It's a very simple courtesy. I don't go into your work space and move
things around without your consent.

-Kristina
--
Kristina Williams, News Media Coordinator
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center <http://ucimc.org>

*Member of AmeriCorps <http://www.americorps.gov/>*