[UCIMC-Tech] [Imc-bookkeeper] Status of the Production room

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 18:22:05 CST 2011

I want to echo what Chris indicated in his reply, but am copying this to
the main IMC list so spokes, etc are aware of the issue. Donations _must
_be brought to the attention of Tech or the specific group that is
involved. Do NOT simply dump stuff in the Production Room or anyplace
else in the building.

We actually have small, but very specific needs in terms of tech-type
donations. Tech knows what's acceptable, if it's a general donation that
someone feels may be of use to the IMC. If it is for the specific and
understood needs of a working group, then that can be arranged with them
and they need to find a place for it. But this needs to be determined
_before _something is left on our doorstep in a basket, in the way in
the Production Room, or just dumped wherever convenient in the building.

Please do not ever use the IMC for mere electronics recycling, as
important as that is. I've made many trips over the years doing what
some should have done in the first place -- hauling useless stuff to
where it can be properly recycled because it was taking up valuable
space at the IMC.

And it was only recently, with great effort, that the Production Room
was made operational again by having junk cleared out of it. We do have
storage available, if that's needed. And if you're not sure whether
we'll think something will be valuable enough to put in storage, then
that's probably a clue that it shouldn't be dumped in the Production
Room or elsewhere in the first place.

As for the comments that run along the lines like "those people" or the
IMC as an organization is actively non-communicative -- well, usually
it's just one person who is somewhat misinformed that results in
incidents like this. I wish I was so perfect that I've never made a
mistake that irritated someone, but I'm not, nor do I assume that
something that someone else does that upsets me is the result of their
nefarious plot to make my life difficult.

Most likely, it was someone who exploited the same access that so many
of us have to many places in the building. Sometimes it seems like
everyone else who has such access is a spoiled, only child or something,
but I think it's a lot more productive to communicate with each other
before we do things that may impose on others than to try to fix things
up once the deed is done.
Mike Lehman