[UCIMC-Tech] Event Calendar Issue

Isak Griffiths isak at ucimc.org
Wed Sep 7 10:45:35 CDT 2011

Hi Chris,

Yes, I put the event back on the calendar. I don't know what more to tell
you other than events randomly vanish from the main calendar. I reported
this once just after I started, but there hasn't been a consistent enough
pattern to feel that I could ask you to seriously look into it.

For example, the 10/29 wedding I have put on the calendar three times. The
first time it disappeared, I re-posted it and verified it was there. A week
later verified it was still there. A couple of weeks later it was gone
again. Of the four events I added at the same time, one other was gone but
the other three were still there.

This happens... not constantly... but regularly. So not so much that I
panic. It's just enough to be a little frustrating and a bit of a nuisance,
but not routine enough to create any kind of a pattern. Events might
disappear the next day or the next month. If I add four events at one time
and verify they are all on the calendar, a month later one of them will
probably be gone but the others will most likely still be there.

I figured you were probably too busy to chase ghosts, so every couple of
weeks I verify that upcoming events are still on the calendar, and add what
is no longer present. It has just become a part of my routine, and I haven't
given it much of a thought in months.

To Abi, though, it seemed really strange and worth reporting.

NOTE ON HISTORY:  Events started vanishing left and right just after I asked
if we could get a more meaningful notice of requested events. When we got
really meaningful notices (that included the requested event, dates and
times), almost every event would vanish every couple of days. I spent more
time re-submitting events than anything else for a couple of weeks. The
flurry of disappearances stopped at the same time the email notice of new
events changed to having start and end times of "12/31/1969 -  6:00 PM". You
were crazy busy at the time - I don't remember with what - and the fact I
didn't have to re-submit every event was good enough for me. Since then an
event will randomly vanish. It's not perfect but 80% of the time it works as
expected.

If you have any brilliant ideas on what could be causing it and think it can
be fixed... awesome! But if not, I think we can live with it just fine.

Thanks,
Isak