[UCIMC-Tech] [RFU] Rfu site hacked

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 19:30:25 UTC 2012

I'm definitely in favor of getting more tech folks involved in system admin
stuff as well as people from working groups taking ownership of website
content. Very much in favor of the diy aspect of hosting ourselves. Stewart
is right, it's not difficult *relatively* and our main impediment is that
we've done this so long with only 1 or 2 people, that we are backtracking a
little to provide proper access control.

Sites we host are either static html, php sites; drupal based; or
wordpress. Chambana.net hosts all so for wordpress, we aren't on
wordpress.com, but host on our own server.

For WRFUs site, the group can choose any of these options. The test site
can be up within a few hours.

On the system admin side of this conversation, on my to do list has been to
organize those tech meet ups. That's been delayed since our last one
(during GRC) due to getting our new webserver up (now done, work is
proceeding to migrate all our websites to it). Josh also is implementing
some ACLs in the openldap server so that we can properly delegate admin
access to new folks and ensure separation of access to imc servers and
other chambana.net servers for other groups. That should happen in the next
month or so.

Until then, I'll send email out to set a regular meetup time for those
folks interested in sysadmin, web admin, etc work. We can begin with going
through the imcs portion of chambana.net servers, network, services, etc.

If Saturday mornings work for folks, give a shout out.

Thanks,
Chris