[UCIMC-Tech] chambana-listing-as-spammer: need reverse DNS for 209.66.96.68! - was Re: att.net and earthlink.net block Chambana e-mail (from 209.66.96.68)

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Sun Mar 18 05:02:31 UTC 2012

service: other services (att.net, sbcglobal, umich.edu, UIUC CITES) are
accepting somebody's judgement that chambana.net is a spam source, and
they're auto-rejecting mail from it, or at least flagging it as likely
spam (in CITES case).  Given what I've seen from CITES, this may have
been ongoing since 3/8.

Suspicion: given umich.edu's helpful info below, it appears that the
chambana outbound mail server 209.66.96.68 *has a bogus-looking reverse
DNS entry*.    Do we (Josh?) have any control over this???  If not, is
there a way to route through a different outbound mailer?

[[Further: some annoying trouble with the IMC mail server ... I'd sent a
msg or two to imc-tech about this over last couple days, hadn't heard
back from anyone.   Now I see those messages haven't made it into the
imc-tech archives, so probably nobody has seen them.  Argh.  Hope it
will work to send directly like this.]]

Fallout from above problem: lots of people on various chambana lists are
being set to "NOMAIL".  Today that included Carol/Aaron, and Rev.
Underwood, from CUCPJ Discuss list.   Mailman does this when it gets a
fatal bounce, as happens when receiving sites reject mail due to our
sender being flagged as a spam source...

Help!

     Stuart