[UCIMC-Tech] chambana-listing-as-spammer: need reverse DNS for 209.66.96.68! - was Re: att.net and earthlink.net block Chambana e-mail (from 209.66.96.68)

Jay Schubert jay.schubert at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 12:39:57 UTC 2012

Bump. I think tho is happening on the BYP list serves too

- Jay

On Sunday, March 18, 2012, Stuart Levy <salevy at illinois.edu> wrote:
somebody's judgement that chambana.net is a spam source, and they're
auto-rejecting mail from it, or at least flagging it as likely spam (in
CITES case).  Given what I've seen from CITES, this may have been ongoing
since 3/8.

> Suspicion: given umich.edu's helpful info below, it appears that the
chambana outbound mail server 209.66.96.68 *has a bogus-looking reverse DNS
entry*.    Do we (Josh?) have any control over this???  If not, is there a
way to route through a different outbound mailer?

> [[Further: some annoying trouble with the IMC mail server ... I'd sent a
msg or two to imc-tech about this over last couple days, hadn't heard back
from anyone.   Now I see those messages haven't made it into the imc-tech
archives, so probably nobody has seen them.  Argh.  Hope it will work to
send directly like this.]]

> Fallout from above problem: lots of people on various chambana lists are
being set to "NOMAIL".  Today that included Carol/Aaron, and Rev.
Underwood, from CUCPJ Discuss list.   Mailman does this when it gets a
fatal bounce, as happens when receiving sites reject mail due to our sender
being flagged as a spam source...

> Help!
>
>     Stuart

a spam source: there's no reverse DNS for that IP address.  Or maybe there
is, but umich.edu and probably others don't think that "
64.124.106.68.available.above.net" is legitimate, apparently.  (This would
also explain why CITES started classifying 'most all of my *@
lists.chambana.net message as spam on March 8th.)

> Do any of us have control over reverse DNS for 209.66.96.68?  This seems
pretty serious.

> (Details, from http://spambusters.mail.umich.edu/troubleshoot/blockstatus/- Aaron Johnson Ortiz gets his mail at
umich.edu, which just sent a fatal bounce in refusing to accept a
chambana.net message, and fortunately explains its reasoning better than
earthlink/att.net/CITES):

> 209.66.96.68
> Notes:    This IP does not have a valid reverse DNS record. Please have
this DNS issue fixed to avoid delays in mail delivery.

> On 3/15/12 2:38 PM, Stuart Levy wrote:
>
> Do we have any way of telling whether spam is being sent through the
chambana.net mail server (from it to elsewhere)?

> I'm seeing "bounce" messages from both att.net and earthlink.netreporting that they're blocking
chambana.net mail from

> 209.66.96.68
>
> (This was for OccupyCU list mail, but I imagine the same would be true
for any att/earthlink user receiving chambana.net email).

> I've used the http://earthlink.net/block page's advice on getting our
mail server un-blocked.

> Att.com (sbcglobal etc.) has a helpful-looking bounce message, referring
to "http://att.net/blocks",
> but there is no such web page.  Google searching turned up this:
>
>     http://rbl.att.net/block_inquiry.html
>
> I'm filling in its please-unblock-us page too,
>    http://rbl.att.net/cgi-bin/rbl/block_admin.cgi
> which among other things asks "what configuration changes have you made
since you were blocked?",
> i.e. demonstrate that you have ceased to beat your spouse...
>
> For reference here's a sample bounce:
>
> This is a Mailman mailing list bounce action notice:
>
>     List:       OccupyCU
>     Member:     charles.eleanor at sbcglobal.net
>     Action:     Subscription disabled.
>     Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.
>

> The triggering bounce notice is attached below.
>
> Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at
> mailman at lists.chambana.net.
>
> ForwardedMessage.eml
> Subject:
> Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
> From:
> MAILER-DAEMON at mail0.frost.chambana.net (Mail Delivery System)
> Date:
> 3/15/12 11:19 AM
> To:
> occupycu-bounces at lists.chambana.net
>
> This is the mail system at host mail0.frost.chambana.net.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
> be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

> delete your own text from the attached returned message.
>
>                    The mail system
>
> <charles.eleanor at sbcglobal.net>: host sbcmx8.prodigy.net[207.115.36.22]
said:
>     553 5.3.0 nlpi107 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521< 209.66.96.68
>     >_is_blocked.__For_information_see_http://att.net/blocks (in reply to
MAIL
>     FROM command)
>

> Reporting-MTA: dns; mail0.frost.chambana.net
> Arrival-Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:19:34 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; charles.eleanor at sbcglobal.net
> Remote-MTA: dns; sbcmx8.prodigy.net
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553 5.3.0 nlpi107 DNSBL:ATTRBL 521< 209.66.96.68
>     >_is_blocked.__For_information_see_http://att.net/blocks
>
> ForwardedMessage.eml
> Subject:
> [OccupyCU] General Assembly
> From:
> Theresa Scott <msscott729 at yahoo.com>
> Date:
> 3/15/12 11:19 AM
> To:
> occupycu <occupycu at lists.chambana.net>
> FYI, tomorrow's ocCUpy General Assembly will be held in Room 222 of the
Champaign Public Library.  Hope to see you.