[UCIMC-Tech] ucimc.org

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 17 23:37:33 UTC 2013

Chris has set out some good talking points. In the interests of at least
all being on the same page, I'll attach some background. Doesn't mean
that these things can't be changed or dealt with in various ways, but
just so we know that some things are expectations that need to be addressed.

On 3/14/2013 4:16 PM, Chris Ritzo wrote:
> To be completely fair, none of your work has been deleted. The site's
> been moved for a month now and this is the first time anyone's
> mentioned that images weren't there.
> Moving the site just means that we need to adjust a setting or two and
> they'll be visible again like the last time. I'll make sure Josh has
> access to the site and will work on the images also.
>
> I agree with Josh about fundraising, as volunteer efforts to revamp it
> seem to be met with mostly deaf ears.
>
> The IMC also needs to decide intentionally what a future website looks
> like and what features it should have.
> - should it continue to be a totally open publishing platform? has
> that ship sailed into obscurity and spam land?
All our sites don't need to be, but our publishing sites should be able
to allow some form of anonymous publishing. From the Indymedia POU"
"All IMCs, based upon the trust of their contributors and readers, shall
utilize open web based publishing, allowing individuals, groups and
organizations to express their views, anonymously if desired..."
> - should it be two sites? one to represent the organization and one to
> be a community forum/news site?
I still tend toward the belief that both needs can be addressed on one
page. The current design is way less busy (more on that in a moment) so
I think there's room to provide the navigation needed (but I never
claimed to be a web designer). On the other hand, if people feel two
sites are better than one, I have no problem so long as getting back and
forth is obvious.
> - should the website also be considered an archive where things
> published live in perpetuity? if so, is Drupal the right platform for
> that? can the IMC support that?

I've got no idea about the viability of the platform and even less about
how to support it. AFAIK, I think people have always assumed it would be
available, as a whole, but we've also been stuck in post-2005 for a long
time with no big complaints. I know there have been times when I wanted
stuff and it was too old. I'm also pragmatic about institutional
capacity on this matter as far as having them live and online.

That said, I think we should try to preserve some sort of availability
of as much as possible if its technically possible (on hard drives or
?). For various institutional, personal, legal, historical, and research
reasons, I think some form of preservation at a minimal level should be
a goal.
Mike Lehman