[UCIMC-Tech] listserv request mails bouncing

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 22 18:33:03 UTC 2013

Hi Josh,

	Thanks for the background.  Could you re-enable request addresses for bikecoop-announce list?     Our database will likely soon need a way to auto-add as part of our "start new member" procedure.

	Alternative if this becomes too much of a spam risk/problem:
	The easy alternative is to use command line Mailman scripts like add_members , but that brings access rights problems:  I think that if my account was  able to use Mailman scripts to do adds for one list , it would also have rights to change all the lists on chambana.net  I wouldn't want that (wouldn't  want scores of list managers wondering if every list problem they encounter is my fault).
	If the Mailman script privileges are as I think, then one answer is to write  a few  tiny, single-list Mailman command scripts s (e.g. add_members_to_bikecoop_announce, etc.) that themselves have privileges to run the actual scripts.  (e.g. "add_members --listname bikecoop-announce *$" or whatever the syntax is).  Would just need  two or three of these, to cover the list commands we'd automate.

			Cheers,

			Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz
3043 Beckman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign