[UCIMC-Tech] listserv request mails bouncing

Josh King jking at chambana.net
Fri Mar 15 18:58:03 UTC 2013

Hi Barry,

particular against spam, I patched Mailman several months ago to remove
most of the request addresses. They're potentially a major source of
spam via bouncing false messages to list owners, and the vast majority
of mailman users utilize the web interface exclusively. Sorry about the
unexpected behavior; I considered raising the issue to the larger
community, but figured it would be an obscure issue to explain and so I
figured I would just do that and then deal with it in a timely fashion
if there were any objections or problems. If you would like, it should
be relatively easy for me to re-enable; it's just one of a number of
anti-spam measures I took at the time.

On Fri 15 Mar 2013 02:28:48 PM EDT, Barry Isralewitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I should be able to send commands to the Mailman lists via request-NAMEOFLIST at lists.chambana.net, yes?
> A couple of years back, I had scripts that did this routinely on chamabana.net servers, and they worked fine.
>    Today, tried the same address that used to work, and the address bounced:
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <bikecoop-announce-request at lists.chambana.net>
>    (reason: 550 5.1.1 <bikecoop-announce-request at lists.chambana.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table)
>
> 	Mail for another Bike Project mailing group also bounces...
>
>> Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain lists.chambana.net by mail.chambana.net. [209.66.96.68].
>>
>> The error that the other server returned was:
>> 550 5.1.1 <bikecoop-request at lists.chambana.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table
>
> 	Am I sending to the correct address, and the problem is that the addresses have to specifically set up, or is there some new Mailman request address scheme?
>
> 				Cheers,
>
> 				Barry

Josh King