[UCIMC-Tech] Reliability of PCs? Re: does Makerspace have a spare PC for WRFU streaming?

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:07:42 EST 2015

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions last week!

My first inclination was to snag a spare donated PC, and put it in some
more-or-less-accessible space, like in the office next to the WRFU
automation computer.   Then if it crashed & needed rebooting, or its
backup disk needed attention, etc. it'd be easy to get to.   That seemed
easier to me than using a machine in the attic as Chris offered.   But
now I'm less sure ...

How do you-all feel about the reliability of the machines available -
either the donated PCs, or the older rack-mount machines that Chris
mentioned in the attic space?   Did I just have bad luck with the one we
picked (story below)?   If we used one that was in a rack in the attic,
would there be a way of rebooting it or seeing its console remotely
(IPMI?) or would that need physical access?

The story:

On Sunday Sophia and Don and I picked out one of the red-dot ("passes
POST") HP compact desktops from the janitor's closet, and brought it to
my house to install software on it.   BUT, it doesn't work.   It does
past POST, and a short memtest86+ memory test.   But booting Linux on it
(Ubuntu or CentOS), it tends to lock up during or soon after the boot
process.   (It mostly just went to a blank screen, but at one point, I
caught a couple of machine-check panics.)   Only once did it even get to
a login prompt.    I'm happy to test others, but for Barry and whoever's
been working with them, how flaky have you found them to be?

Computing requirements: I don't really know, but would expect them to be
pretty light.   The Airtime server runs with an Apache web server and
Postgres database.   It *might* do transcoding of the incoming audio
stream to serve various bitrates of outgoing streams (I'm not sure yet),
but that doesn't seem like a big strain for even a pretty modest CPU,
for a small number of streams.

I do expect to be at tonight's 7pm WRFU meeting.