[IMC-US-tech] list intro, prototype syndication site url, etc.

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ojctech.com
Thu Sep 18 08:49:29 CDT 2003

Howdy,

I'm Sascha Meinrath from the Urbana-Champaign IMC.  I can help with some
of the implementation, organizational, and logistical stuff, but my
background is in project management more than programming itself.  In
answer to Ben's questions:

> First thing should be coding - what has been accomplished so far?

As far as I know, not much.  Personally, I'm preferencial to the dada
code as a base; however, I'm open to other ideas/solutions for the
project.

> who did that prototype site (I forgot the URL...), and is that person on
> this list?

I believe Brian Szymanski <bks10 at cornell.edu> set up the syndication
website -- but I don't think he's on the list yet.  The URL for the
prototype site is currently:

http://staughton.indymedia.org/~ski/us.htm

> do we want to start from scratch or use an existing IMC-ish codebase?

I would suggest Dada since it's fairly well documented, modular, and
clean.  But if there's strong resistence to it (or preference to using
another code base), I figure that should be one of the first things folks
figure out on this list.

> what does the site need capability-wise?

I would assume that we want to (at the very least) mirror the capabilities
of Global.  But I think we also have the opportuntity to improve upon the
Global site.

> Also, where will it be hosted? This depends on stuff like how much
> traffic we expect, money, admins, etc.

Michigan has a server, the Urbana-Champaign IMC has a server and a large
number of techies.  But again, this is something that we'll want to figure
out on this list.

--Sascha Meinrath
Urbana-Champaign IMC