[IMC-US-tech] moving forward:

Joshua Breitbart breitbart at indymedia.org
Fri Sep 26 02:43:42 CDT 2003

I'm Josh from NYC (though in the midwest at the moment and at many other
moments). I'm not a programmer, but I'm familiar with Indymedia tech issues. I'm
an active member of the www-features list and I was at the Allied Media
Conference meeting.

I think dada's great, but I want to put two things out there for the discussion.
First, the Eggplant collective just installed Mir on one of their servers, so we
could consider that option. I know that almost no one in the US is familiar with
Mir, but perhaps this is a chance to learn. (The dada/Mir distinction is a
significant issue in the network, which is not to say that all IMCs should be
running the same software, only that the issue should be considered.)

Second, I think we should consider whether we want to have the look and feel of
the indymedia.us site approximate as closely as possible the indymedia.org site,
so users of one feel comfortable with the other. I'm certainly not saying we
want to run classic active. Maybe we can alter the look of dada to achieve that
effect. Or maybe that's a reason to consider Mir, since I think at some point
the global site will transition to the Mir code. Then again, perhaps we want
users to transition seemlessly from our local sites.

Overriding these points is my complete faith in choices of the techies who will
be doing the work and my strong desire to launch the site soon.

jb

Quoting Ben Chodoroff <bc at sdf.lonestar.org>:

 I'm here too! I might've sent out my introduction too early.. it's
 archived though.

 Michigan's server is also capable of hosting. It's a commercial host,
 which means we have a lot of thoroughput available. It's ready to run
 more dada sites... It's also really really fast (multiple oc-3's).

 -ben

 http://michiganimc.org/ :: Michigan Indymedia Center
 http://bc.multics.org/ :: Personal homepage
 bc at sdf.lonestar.org