[IMC-US-tech] Re: Acorn Active Media Worker Collective Offer: (Sascha Meinrath)

Brian Szymanski bks10 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 5 07:25:06 CST 2004

From: Sascha Meinrath <sascha at ucimc.org>
> The Acorn Active Media worker collective has offered to partner with the
> IMC-US Tech group to help launch the IMC-US website.  Acorn Active Media
> is willing to do this work Pro Bono in return for acknowledgement of its
> aid -- a feature story for the first two weeks after the site goes live,
> and a permanent small acknowledgement at the bottom of the left-hand
> column. The IMC-US Tech group actively supports this proposal and feels
> that this is a good way to proceed with the project.  Unless there are any
> major objections, we will start partnering immediately.

Please, no.

I realize I have no official voice in this group, but I feel quite
strongly that trading feature status for any sort of money or work is the
exact antithesis of what indymedia stands for. Furthermore, a permanent
link of sorts on the page that is any bigger than the "this software made
manifest by dadaimc/sf-active/etc" (which serves a useful purpose) is very
troublesome to me as well.

I realize that this Acorn group is probably quite awesome, but making
exceptions is a slippery slope.

There are other ways to get the site up, like, say reaching out to imc's
in the us and asking for tech help :-)

Peace & solidarity,
Brian Szymanski
ski at indymedia.org